• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 swap worth it?

Jonesy51

NAXJA Forum User
I currently have a 2001 xj C8.25, 4:56's no locker. I have been given an explorer 8.8 with disc breaks but it needs to be regeard and have a locker installed and possibly have all the bearings replaced. Is it woth the effort to replace the C8.25 for the 8.8?

Define "worth it". What benefits or features do you expect to gain that the Chry 8.25 does not have ? Describe your 4x4 usage, and why a Chry 8.25 doesn't meet your needs. What is your budget, and can you do any of the fabrication needed for the 8.8 install ?

I would sell the 8.8 and use the money to get a set of ZJ discs at the junkyard. They're damn near bolt on, 8.8s are going to be a bit more annoying iirc, don't you have to redrill the mounting bolt pattern instead of just grinding out the centerbore?

Define "worth it". What benefits or features do you expect to gain that the Chry 8.25 does not have ? Describe your 4x4 usage, and why a Chry 8.25 doesn't meet your needs. What is your budget, and can you do any of the fabrication needed for the 8.8 install ?

I can do all the fabwork needed and im not worried about the cost, I'm just wondering how much stronger the 8.8 is. I dont thrash on the jeep hard when I wheel, or at least I try not to but I get excited sometimes and I cant help myself.

The 8.25 is plenty strong for what most do. If you are content about the way it works. Stick with it, sell the 8.8 and put discs on your 8.25.

Back