• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

swap gauge cluster

outracing

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone, so my xj was totalled a few days ago. I have found one similar to the one that I need to replace, I just am wondering if since this replacement xj has the gauge cluster with out the tach and just has the giant gas gauge, would I be able to pull the gauge out of my totalled jeep and use it in the one that I am hoping to purchase? Has any one done this? Thank you all so much for your help!

You should only have to change out the oil pressure sending unit, other than that it is a plug and play swap.

If '99 to '99, should just be plug and play, oil pressure sending unit not needed on my '99 when I made the switch. IIRC the OPsendingUnit change is needed for the older models, don't know which years though as I only play with '98-'99 models.

Yeah, should plug right in then.

Yes. It's an easy swap. If you want your oil pressure gauge to work you'll have to swap out the dummy sending unit for a real one.

Not on the late models, that's 96 and earlier only. 97 and later the oil pressure signal goes through the ECU onto the data bus and it's the same oil sender either way, and no temp sender is needed at all because the ECU just uses its temp sender.

On the cluster switch, what about the odometer? I've read that the onboard odo computer(?) will propagate the mileage to the new cluster, but just wanted to verify before switching.

Thanks.

I did the swap on a 99,the odometer mileage will remain what is was from the donor vehicle. And like the others said no need to swap oil pressure switch.

In theory, one who has a drb3 and knows how to use it should be able to. I know there are a few people on here that have them.

Swapped out my instrument panel today. Definitely like the new one. I do have 14k more miles now, but it is not the end of the world at some point I may take on the project from the link above but I plan on keeping this vehicle and already, I question how much difference mileage makes on these vehicles at their age.

On the new panel, I like the gauges, tach, reserve fuel light, feels like a different vehicle. May play with changing out the cluster lights down the line if anyone has recommendations there.

It really doesn't affect value at all, and as long as it keeps going up and never goes down, the government doesn't care.

It only matters if you care, basically.

For the cluster lights,I used #194 LED bulbs that I bought on Amazon. Very inexpensive.

Back