• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C Problem

ctomas_30

NAXJA Forum User
The A/C in my 2000 XJ has been acting up and I have no idea on how to proceed in fixing this.

Problem: Blower stops working for periods of time, sometimes for only a quick second but it will also stop blowing for a long time. Air is getting cool though, I can hear the compressor come on and the faster I drive the more cold air passes through the vents and into the cabin. This only works when the A/C control is set to blow through the top vents and the top/bottom vents (putting the A/C on the recycle setting shuts off the flow of cool air no matter how fast I drive).

I took my XJ to a dealership, and they basically told me that there was nothing they could do because the parts needed to fix my Cherokee are discontinued. They said that there is some kind of connector/pigtail piece that attaches to the blower motor, and this connector piece is somehow bad and is shorting out my blower motor.

Has anyone had a similar issue to this, and if so what do I need to do to fix this?

Thanks for the help

Ive done some research and think it could be that the connector that goes from the fan to electric heat sink has melted, rendering the fan nonoperational?

You need to determine whether the problem is the fan motor that stops turning OR if the climate controls lose the vacuum source that keeps the dampers open.

The vacuum problem can be caused by a system vacuum line leak generally located beneath the battery tray. It is caused by acid dripping on the vacuum line. The other cause can be when the Jeep is driven up a hill under load; the vacuum going to the climate controls is lost due to a damaged or missing check valve in the line that goes thru the engine compartment firewall next to the accumulator drier on the passenger side near the fan motor.

If the problem is the fan motor stopping; this could be the speed control resistor over heating which creates a open in the power going to the fan motor.

You need to determine whether the problem is the fan motor that stops turning OR if the climate controls lose the vacuum source that keeps the dampers open.

The vacuum problem can be caused by a system vacuum line leak generally located beneath the battery tray. It is caused by acid dripping on the vacuum line. The other cause can be when the Jeep is driven up a hill under load; the vacuum going to the climate controls is lost due to a damaged or missing check valve in the line that goes thru the engine compartment firewall next to the accumulator drier on the passenger side near the fan motor.

If the problem is the fan motor stopping; this could be the speed control resistor over heating which creates a open in the power going to the fan motor.

Awesome. Ill look into these things. Thanks for the help

Back