• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

VANCO Breaks

FaultyLine

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Hello NAXJA folks! I am requesting any information on upgraded brake kits for an 01 XJ. Currently, my pads mounts have worn into the knuckles, which results is crappy and uneven break performance. I've heard the VANCO 15" brake kit w/ Black Magic pads is supposed to be pretty stellar. Are there any other kits I should be aware of? Does anyone actually have the 15" VANCO kit installed - what do you think?

Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

I run the vanco 16" brake kit.

It is hands down the best think you can do for braking in an XJ.

What size tire are you running? Anything under a 33" and You may just need a set of black magic pads

I have the 15" kit from Blaine at Black Magic brakes. It is, without a doubt, an amazing upgrade. Not cheap, bu the Black Magic pads are very impressive.

David Bricker / SYR

I'm in the process of installing the Vanco 15" kit. Obviously, I can't comment on the driving results yet, but I must say it is a very impressive kit.

The calipers are much larger than the stock XJ calipers. The machine work on the supplied knuckles looks to be first-rate, as are the included components/hardware, packaging, installation instructions, etc. So far, I'm quite impressed. I cannot wait to get the new pads broken in and really do some testing.

Here's a crappy cell-phone picture of the completed passenger side (except for the brake line extension, which will also be replaced):

IMG_0895.JPG

Last edited:
Rwk haus supply just listed New brakes. check.em.out.
I saw them there - A bit pricey - BUT I suppose you get what you pay for, right?

I run the vanco 16" brake kit.

It is hands down the best think you can do for braking in an XJ.

What size tire are you running? Anything under a 33" and You may just need a set of black magic pads
I'm currently on stock 28's, but I'm planning on going 31" initially, maybe a bit bigger later on. My knuckles are gouged where the pads sit, so I have brakes that don't work consistently. I'd rather upgrade them than deal with trying to fix them - since I'd have to replace the knuckles anyway.

David_Bricker, glad to hear you like them so much - that seems to be a pretty common thing for folks to say about these systems.

raneil, those look great - thanks for sharing!

Thank you everyone for the feedback - It appears as if this IS the way to go!

I also noticed that this thread got moved from socal to the modified tech forum - did I post it in the wrong place initially?

I also noticed that this thread got moved from socal to the modified tech forum - did I post it in the wrong place initially?

Just a larger audience for relevant information.

If you do go with this brake kit, be sure to adhere to the pad break-in instructions. They are very important for best results, and are different than most.

David Bricker / SYR

Just a larger audience for relevant information.

If you do go with this brake kit, be sure to adhere to the pad break-in instructions. They are very important for best results, and are different than most.

David Bricker / SYR
Got it - thanks for the explanation. I probably will go with this kit pretty soon - just saving up the cash @ the moment. I think this makes sense as a priority 1 upgrade, compared to a lift, tires or even a locker. stopping safely is kind of important. I'll make sure I RTFM!

Re: Re: VANCO Breaks

Got it - thanks for the explanation. I probably will go with this kit pretty soon - just saving up the cash @ the moment. I think this makes sense as a priority 1 upgrade, compared to a lift, tires or even a locker. stopping safely is kind of important. I'll make sure I RTFM!

Considered doing a wj brake/steering swap?

Swapping knuckles, installing hub spacer on knuckle, replace lower ball joints, etc. I believe that there is a write-up around. Several members have done the swap as well.
You can run stock steering on it if you want, but gives you an option of crossover steering, which is better. You need to run OTA trackbar mount to keep the links parallel tho.
But, you get better brakes/steering option.

Swapping knuckles, installing hub spacer on knuckle, replace lower ball joints, etc. I believe that there is a write-up around. Several members have done the swap as well.
You can run stock steering on it if you want, but gives you an option of crossover steering, which is better. You need to run OTA trackbar mount to keep the links parallel tho.
But, you get better brakes/steering option.

your trackbar/draglink will not be parallel if you run stock steering on WJ knuckles, the WJ lower steer arm is lower than the XJ.

Follow up:

I finally finished installing the VANCO 15" Kit and have completed the required break-in procedure.

In a word: "WOW!" :party:

It really makes a noticeable difference -- and I know full well those pads aren't fully broken in, yet. Braking has clearly improved. The pedal feels about the same as it always did, but the Jeep definitely has more whoa-down.

I'm not quite satisfied with the brake lines just yet. I have some other ones on order. Otherwise, I'm pleased so far. I'll have a better chance to evaluate them next month in the Rocky Mountains. Will advise.

VANCOBrakes01.jpg

VANCOBrakes02.jpg

I just got my kit today, I have the same feelings so far - pretty impressed with the packaging and the quality of the workmanship. I can't wait to get them installed, but I must plan it accordingly. I'm trying to decide if I should replace the ball-joints while I do this. It seems silly not to while I've got everything apart. What didn't you like about the Techna-Fit lines?

You won't be disappointed. The difference between the VANCO and stock brakes with 35" tires is huge.

I agree with you about the ball joints. You're going to be doing 90% of the required work anyway -- might as well replace them while you're there. I replaced all 4 ball joints, both unit bearings, and both front axle U-joints.

The brake lines I wasn't quite happy with were the Rubicon Express 22" lines in the photos in my last post. They were too long for my tastes, and I didn't care for the block-style banjo connector on the caliper end. It forces the brake line to be perfectly vertical coming off of the caliper, and it's in the way of the bleeder screw.

I ordered a set of the Techna-Fit brake lines (20"), and they are about perfect. No complaints at all. They seem to be very well made, and they have the round banjo connector on the caliper end so you can orient the brake line at a slight angle inboard. And on the other end, the fitting that screws onto the hard brake line spins freely on the end of the line, unlike the Rubicon Express or Goodridge lines. A nice touch that makes it a little easier to install them. Finally, they're are jacketed in a protective PVC hose covering for added abrasion resistance -- I chose black, but they're available in several different colors, if you're into that. They were $35.00 including shipping, and arrived in less than a week. HIGHLY recommended.

Back