• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can I replace c-clip carrie with non c-clip carrier?

iblameeric

NAXJA Forum User
I have a coil sprung D35 with a c-clip setup. I have access to a leaf sprung D35 with a non c-clip setup. The non c-clip has 4.56 gears vs the c-clip with 3.07 gears. My options look to be either replace the brackets on the leaf sprung to match what I need or replace the carrier. I have a front axle ready to go with 4.56 gears in it. Is it possible to pull the carrier from the non c-clip and put it into the c-clip dif? I realize the axle shafts need to come with the carrier as well. Looking to see what the easiest/least expensive option is.

Thank you for any input!

das confused... you have a coil spring setup, on a D35, under your XJ?

please explain what the axles are from, what they are set up for, and what they are going into. are you even running an XJ?

the carriers can be swapped... as in, it will fit in one D35 housing as well as the other. but its much more than just "swapping" carriers. you have to completely reset the gears. then there is the matter of how the axle shafts are retained, since you no longer are using Cclips. if you want to put the geared axle into an XJ, your best bet is to just add new perches to the geared axle.

welcome to the forum... your going to see a ton of anti D35 love.

I know all about the D35 "love". :D The leaf sprung is coming from a XJ (97). The coil sprung is sitting under a TJ (04). I know, this the XJ forums, but I also have a 90 XJ and was searching the different forums for answers. I figured new brackets would be the easiest setup. The price was right on the matching XJ axles ($125). The front is a HP and will go in the TJ with little to no modification. I am running 33" tires and the 3.07's just are not cutting it. :) Thank you for the welcome!

I might be wrong about the c-clips. I was told by the seller this axle did not have them. I have not cracked the dif cover just yet to see.

Holy crap this is confusing, the way you wrote it all out. But maybe I have what you are looking to do figured out. You own a TJ and have an XJ 35 that you want to put the gears from into you Wrangler, but due to carrior break you want to use the non c-clip carrior, right?

The non c-clip 35 has different flanges for a tapered bearing and bearing retainer for the non c-clip axles. You're TJ has a roller bearing without a proper flange to run those axle. With that said, you could run the non c-clip carrier. But like said above you won't have any way to retain the axles with the non c-clip spiders. I am almost certain that the c-clip spiders will fit the non c-clip carrier though. So, you could just swap in the gear set with the other carrier and your spider gears... If they're both open diff. The other issue is that used gears have already been run into a certain pattern. I have swapped gears to different housings. About half the time they go right in and don't make noise or need re-shimmed. The other half needed reset-up and made slight gear noise. If you are up to the task, you could swap all your brackets because the non c-clip 35 is a little bit better axle, but really you're just wasting your time.

Hope that cleared everything up for you.

I apologize for the confusion, but yes, you got it right. Looks like I will be replacing some brackets. I appreciate the response! :)

Back