• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Merit plugs and sockets

bad luck

NAXJA Forum User
I hope this is in the right place. I just bought an ARB fridge freezer and the manual recommends using merit sockets instead of cigarette lighter sockets. I think they can handle more amps for a longer time. Is anyone familar with these and where to buy them? The manual also said to hook it up using 6mm wire, I think that is equivalent to AWG 10 isn't it? Thanks for any help.

Never heard of a merit socket, byt they do make fairly small anderson power poles if you wanted to do a hardwired installation

6mm =1/4"

They are supposed to be like a heavy duty cigarette lighter socket. But using Anderson plugs would probably be better. Thanks

There's a large selection of inexpensive merit sockets and plugs available on amazon, with free shipping. I'd expect to pay about $12 for a decent one. Its not the worst idea, you're going to want to install an outlet in your cargo area anyways.

Merit plugs and cigarette lighter sockets are not interchangable. There are some 'combo' plugs available that really are not good..

I'd install it, and buy the parts to build yourself a merit -> cigi adapter cable for that inevitable scenario where you want to plug something else in back there.

Thanks for the information I'll check Amazon, but I may change it over to an Anderson plug. Yes the existing end on the power cord has a little red adapter that stays on for cig lighter sockets and comes off for the merit sockets.

Back