• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 xj front axle vibration only in 4wd after 4.5" lift instal

85xjwoody

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I installed a 4.5" adjustable short arm lift in my wifes 2000 xj. While I was at it I installed a SYE with a freshly built rear driveshaft. Everything is great until I pull the handle and I get some nasty vibrations out if the front end somewhere. It happens at all speeds. Could this be caused by the low pinion d30 axle? I have the same exact lift in my 98 xj and everything has been great for a few years now with no problems.
So I guess my question is would the low pinion d30 cause this much vibration in 4wd or is there something wrong in the transfer case after the install of the SYE? I am leaning towards the front axle being the problem but am not 100% sure.

I doubt it.

Long arm, short arm, it's all the same when it comes to DS angles.
There's over 5" of lift on my 2001 with a LP front. No issues.

Now that I think about it more it almost has to be the t/c. I have done my share of SYE installs and never had this vibration problem only in 4wd.

Caster is where it is supposed to be and the front driveshaft is good to go. I drove this jeep in 4wd right before the install of the lift and there was no problems at all. I have a hard time thinking that my front driveshaft would cause a vibration only in 4wd as it is always spinning so you would think that it would cause a problem in 2wd also but does not. I will be taking off the front driveshaft today and taking it for a ride to see how it acts when engaged in 4wd.

Ok status update. After installing new adjustable control arms I decided to take off the front driveshaft and swap out the tires and went for a ride. Rides great nothing wrong even in 4wd. So back home to put in a different driveshaft with new u-joints and went for another ride. Vibrations are back with a different driveshaft up front. So I am at a loss here, I am thinking something in the t/c is wrong but I can't think of anything off of the top of my head that could cause the vibrations only in 4wd with the front shaft on, even with a new one.

new one? or a different used one?

In stock ride height the front shaft sits pretty much parallel to the road. Seeing that it spins all the time, the joints and centering ball wear into a pattern.

When you lift the jeep, now the joints and centering ball are running outside that wear pattern and will cause a vibration. It's the centering ball that usually causes all the problems.

It was a different shaft but rebuilt and balanced with about 500 miles on it. I am going to try a different driveshaft again and see if it changes. The vibrations did change from shaft to shaft but they are still there. Just have to wait a couple days for the driveshaft guy to build me another one.

Front pinion angle. I had the same issue when I went from 4" to 5.5" I set caster at spec per the lift company and it vibed bad. I continued to adjust front pinion upward a little at a time until the vibe went away. No death wobble, so I'm leaving it where it is.

Back