• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Slip yoke rebuild/ replace

94xjsport94

NAXJA Forum User
After my 4wd conversion I needed another front driveshaft, so I grabbed one offline for $50 to my front door. Got it and the slip yoke joint on it was shot. Was refunded $30 so not a huge loss by any means. Now I'm looking to rebuild that slip yoke or replace the end. I haven't been able to find anything super useful via google or any write ups on just the slip yoke, most are for the centering balls and u joints. Any experience or helpful links?

You can try another front drive shaft, about 2/3 of the ones I find at the junkyard are still good. Or, you can find your local clutch and u-joint shop and have them rebuild and rebalanced the one you have. If the slip yoke is worn, both parts should be replaced. A rebuilt front driveshaft should be about 1/2 the cost of a new custom built drive shaft.

Meh... That's what I figured. It's not worth paying to get it rebuilt. I went out on a limb and stuck it on CL today. The JY here wants $100 for a driveshaft so that's not happening... I'll be checking part outs then.

That's disappointing to find out

Two years ago or so.... I found that the slip yoke had a lot of play and contacted several local driveline shops that will rebuild and balance.
All 3 shops quoted me approximately $230-250 plus tax to rebuild and balance. I searched online and found that the out of state shops wanted $175-200 plus shipping both ways which when totalled up would cost me over $300 for a stock rebuilt front ds.
Contacted Tom Woods and was able to get a HD custom front ds for $299 plus $5 packaging and was guaranteed to arrive in 2-3 days.
You can probably guess which one I chose..... :new:

Back