• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HIGH beam LOW beam combo????

Grab a service manual, that will give you the wiring diagram you need.

You should only need to run a wire from the hi beam relay to the low beam relay so that when the hibeam relay is activated it also activates the low beam relay.

Do you have/are you running a waggy front end? Otherwise. If you only have 1 HL on each side. I would think that the individual lights would burn out sooner if both elements are active at the same time.
If you have a waggy, or have a total of 4 headlights, you could get the LCM truck headlight harness for high/low beam light combo. and mod it to run all of them at once.
Or, buy a single one, and I will trade you my "dual light" harness for single.

I have seen the relay kits for early model chevys that let you run you low beam lights when your high beams are on. Does anybody make a kit or is this gonna be a home brew thing. Are there any diagrams available or is it even possible. I am NOT electronically inclined!!!!!
If your XJ has the stock 6054 bulbs, running the high and low beams at the same time wil,l overheat and burn them out quickly.
Tried this 'upgrade' myself and lost both headlights within a half hour. Not one of my better ideas.
Try adding a set of driving lights instead, using a fused relay driven off the high beam circuit or an added switch.

Re: HIGH beam LOW beam combo???

Do you know WHY they burned out so fast? Do the lights themselves put out too much heat or is the OEM wire harness inadequate for that load???
That was with upgraded headlight wiring (10-gauge wires).
The dual beams generate too much heat for the housing to dissipate.

the filaments are probably overheating.

I wonder if somebody makes a bulb that fits in there that could handle the extra heat.

although, I'm with lazyXJ, just get a set of hella 500s or something

for the amount of $$$$ you will spend to make this work (upgraded harness, aftermarket housings, bulbs, misc wiring and relays) you will EASILY surpass the price of a decent set of driving/fog/off road lights. but pick your poison because each style is different. it sounds like you want better light while driving so you need a good set of "driving" lights.

I have seen the relay kits for early model chevys that let you run you low beam lights when your high beams are on. Does anybody make a kit or is this gonna be a home brew thing. Are there any diagrams available or is it even possible. I am NOT electronically inclined!!!!!

Don't. With the dip & full beam in the same envelope, you're going to go through bulbs like popcorn!

Why do you want to do this? Whenever I hear about someone wanting to do this (dip/full at same time, fog lamps + full beam, ...) there's almost invariably a better way to get the desired result. So, don't just say "More light!" - why do you want more light?

I run the 100w bulbs I got from ebay instead of the regular 55w bulbs. Along with the diamond cut housings that keep the light down and where you want it, they work well. I did update the wiring harness as well.

I was only looking for an easy way to get more light for short periods of time.....a minute or less.

There is the "Passing" function of the Dimmer switch that you could probably bypass. As the car sits stock, if you pull the stalk towards you, the high beams are activated. It seems to me that this works on low beam also increasing light output by activating both elements. I don't remember whether it works while in high beam also. I recall a mod on the Civic forums at one time to bypass this for exactly the reason you want, but it did shorten the bulb life if it was constantly used.

I was only looking for an easy way to get more light for short periods of time.....a minute or less.
After upgrading the stock, undersize wire, the stock bulbs were immediately brighter.
Then a pair of IPF housings replaced the sealed stock bulbs. The new IPF housings were fitted with Hella 80/100-watt bulbs.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/97017_1600.htm
http://www.amazon.com/HELLA-HLA-H83140171-Halogen-Bulb-Road/dp/B000COBLKW
A setup similar to this is what you need for excellent high and low beams, with a sharp cutoff.

Back