• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help with removal of Aftermarket Alarm

motoo344

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, what started yesterday as a head unit install has turned into a major project lol. I decided to just rip out everything, the car was wired for subs and all that stuff but I just put it back to stock so to speak. I've barely had this thing a week yet, still new to Jeeps, its a 98 Cherokee.

Alas, I have arrived at an road block and have no power, no windows, gauges or anything. I have what looks like all of the wires at least cut out and it looks somewhat stock now but no dice.

This is in the back, where you left foot would be. Two wires coming out of the harness, soldered in. Wire to the right goes to horn.

Coming down from the headlight on/off switch

Main harness. Well aware that the two yellows are not connected, connecting them doesn't seem to help. The middle wire, also yellow, is coming out of the blue wire.

Alright, what started yesterday as a head unit install has turned into a major project lol. I decided to just rip out everything, the car was wired for subs and all that stuff but I just put it back to stock so to speak. I've barely had this thing a week yet, still new to Jeeps, its a 98 Cherokee

I doubt if anyone can really help you online.
Any chance you have or searched out the alarm's installation manual?
If not, you need the FSM for your year, using the wring diagrams to figure out what has been modified and what to do to get back to stock.
Some alarms are connected to the door locks, running lights, horn , starter or ignition, a long list of things. They might have added relays, fuses, indicator light, receivers and switches.
It can be a long , thankless job removing one of the 'advanced' systems. I feel for you, good luck.

here is a alarm installation related wiring guide for your 98 cherokee http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/alarmdetail/1212.html

the yellow wire is likely part of a starter kill and would have been triggered by the alarm to allow the vehicle to start when the alarm is disarmed. if you do not know what you are doing STOP an have the jeep towed to a stereo/alarm shop, don't just jeep sticking wires together either you will start popping relays and fuses under the hood. if it was as simple as just ripping everything out there would be no point to having an alarm in the first place as any thief could just do that and drive away.

good luck, taking an alarm out is harder than putting one in if you dont have the installer manual for that specific alarm.

Thanks. I should have known better, wiring is not my forte but this seemed simple enough lol. All I wanted was four speakers and a radio! and this is what I get in return. I haven't been just messing with things. I've just pulled the brain and harness out and pulled the tape from the wires. I cannot see anything else but I am sure there could be more somewhere.

I will probably have to get it towed to be honest, I don't want to mess it up for real.

So go figure.

I ended up noticing that I was getting a little power, just enough to keep the under hood light dim. So I thought well, maybe my battery is dead. I had already reconnected the ignition wire. I attached it to the jumpers and got all power back. Thing fired right up.

Went to put the radio back in the cuby and lost power again. Rechecked all the wiring and made sure nothing was touching and make sure the ground was good. Jumped it again and put it back together and then drove it for 30 minutes to charge the battery again. Came home and finished running my wire under the driver side dash. This time when I jammed everything back in I did not lose any power. Going to give it a rest tonight and see what happens tomorrow. Hopefully I am done with this and can move on the mechanical maintenance.

I had been noticing the last week, I had been getting some hard starts but it started just fine after I drove it and got back in. Figured it was no big deal, just an older car with a bunch of miles. Never occurred to me that over the last two days I've had the lights on constantly and haven't driven it and probably discharged the battery. The battery looks pretty old and I suppose I can add it to my list of maintenance I have planned and head over and get it tested.

Back