• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4th Annual NWC NoobFest

NW99XJ

NAXJA Forum User
The Annual NWC "NoobFest" or "Noob Run" is looking to be held this year around the third week of July..... Potentially the 20th.

I would like to get a discussion going on what you guys think of this date.
As always, there will never be one date that will work for EVERYONE, but if we can get a majority consensus on this date, I think it will work out pretty good.
Weather should be good, trail conditions hopefully will be good, and the FPL should still be down low enough for this to be an open date.

For those of you who dont know what the Noob Run is or what it consists of.....here is the jist of it.

Who: Anybody who wants to come. No restrictions on vehicle or experience, just bring and open mind and a willingness to learn.
Obviously this run will be geared more toward beginners. Anyone is welcome to participate member or not, uni-body or not.

What: A chance for people who are new to the sport, or new to their rigs, to get out and have some fun.
Additionally, there will be an opportunity to learn a few things essential to having a safe and enjoyable wheeling experience.
We may try to purposefully try to get some rigs stuck and then demonstrate how to do a SAFE recovery, using several techniques.
We will go over Hi-Lifts, Tow Straps, Tree Savers, Winch Operation, when, why and how to use a Snatch Block, etc....
All this will be covered and hopefully demonstrated at least in some regard throughout the day.
At the very least we'll have some rudimentary demonstrations and discussions about the aforementioned equipment.

When: Saturday, July 20th, 2013. 9:00am (Driver's Meeting)

Where: TSF OHV Area (Tillamook State Forest AKA "Browns Camp") Driver's meeting and Rendezvous will be at the Roger's Camp Staging area.
You can top off your tanks and pick up an ORV permit at the Gales Creek Shell.
Continue up Hwy 6 for another ~7 miles until you see the turnoff for Browns Camp on the left.
Hang a left at the T and follow the road into Rogers Camp.

In addition to this we may take a run up to Saddle Up for those who haven't seen it or know about our adopted trail.
We will also go over the basics of Tread Lightly! Principles and discuss proper trail use and etiquette throughout the day.

Expectations: Please take the time to look over the NWC Equipment and Participation Standards.
Obviously some of the equipment standards won't apply for this run, but the more prepared you are the better.
This is going to be a family friendly run, so please keep that in mind for the trail and campground (if you decide to camp before hand or afterwards.)
For you veteran wheelers out there keep in mind this is going to be a pretty mellow and easy day, you are more than welcome (and encourraged) to join in or head out on your own.

I would also like a couple volunteers (you more experienced/prepared guys) to help with demonstrations, explanations, and to take lead on some trails.
(especially if we have to split the group into multiple parties
)

If you've been needing a shakedown run, itching to get back out on the trail, or are looking for an excuse to get your XJ off the pavement, this is the perfect run for you.
Also, if you have a new driver, or perhaps want to get your significant other involved in some trail time, this would be a great experience for them.
In years prior this event/run has generated a lot of interest and support.
We look forward to having another real good turnout.

P1040982.jpg

This will be perfect for the wife to get her new baby out and get a feel for it . Where in , probably will camp out the night before .

Date has been set for the 20th

In wet concrete.
This is basically just the most viable date at this point, without overlapping other events in the area....or putting it off altogether.... something I'd rather not do.
Granted this is a new tradition, but after three years, it's enough established I think we should try and fit this one in. Good weather and summer vacation warrants a better turnout than doing it say in October or something.
(not that I'm against that) ....but some people here have pushed to get this on the schedule, and we had tentatively had this on the calendar for sometime in July now for several months. I'm not opposed to putting this off till later in the year, but thats why I wanted to get a discussion going and see where people were at and how they felt about this...... if the general consensus is that we bag this whole run and never look back, so be it. But since it HAS been done every year three years prior, I figured we at least owe it a fighting chance. But majority rules here........
I'm down for whatever.

I'll probably be able to make it on the 20th to lend a hand where ever. Hell, maybe I'll let someone drive my rig for this.

The success of this run really depends on the turnout though. If it's just the usual TSF Vets, then it'll be just another TSF run, and that's just lame.

If you've been lurking in the shadows wanting to get your Jeep out on the trials, this is the run for you!

maybe ill take mine out one last time before it gets a drivetrain transplant
then it will make me want to get it done that much more. Ford 351 c6 np205 with 5.13 geared 8 luggs on 37/12.50/17 on raceline 17x9.5 5"bs beadlocks (thanks NWFest) will be a huge step up from 32s and a 4 banger

I usually always try to make this run. But since my Cherokee is still having issues with drive shaft clearance. I'm probably out. Plus I think it will be sitting at the lake until the end of August.

I'll probably be able to make it on the 20th to lend a hand where ever. Hell, maybe I'll let someone drive my rig for this.

The success of this run really depends on the turnout though. If it's just the usual TSF Vets, then it'll be just another TSF run, and that's just lame.

If you've been lurking in the shadows wanting to get your Jeep out on the trials, this is the run for you!

Need a co pilot?

Re: Re: 4th Annual NWC NoobFest

maybe ill take mine out one last time before it gets a drivetrain transplant
then it will make me want to get it done that much more. Ford 351 c6 np205 with 5.13 geared 8 luggs on 37/12.50/17 on raceline 17x9.5 5"bs beadlocks (thanks NWFest) will be a huge step up from 32s and a 4 banger
Huge up grade. Good times

Just realized this is the same weekend as the big Jolly Jeeper's Back to Basics event...
It slipped my mind that this was going on..... It's going to be pretty damn busy up there on the trails and the staging areas that particular weekend. That's an additional 100 rigs up there. Things might get a little crowded.

I'm thinking of moving this to the following weekend (the 27th)

I want your guys' opinions/thought on this.....

Just realized this is the same weekend as the big Jolly Jeeper's Back to Basics event...
It slipped my mind that this was going on..... It's going to be pretty damn busy up there on the trails and the staging areas that particular weekend. That's an additional 100 rigs up there. Things might get a little crowded.

I'm thinking of moving this to the following weekend (the 27th)

I want your guys' opinions/thought on this.....

I already started to set things up for the 20th, but Alicia & I are good either weekend. I just need to know right now!! If there is going to camping Saturday night ( on the 20th ) it might get tough to find a spot in a site, we might have to get a spot not in a site. Down side to that is most likley wont be able to have a fire becuase its not in a site approved fire pit. I know this cause it happened to us. But either way im down. So its like this:
Saturday is a rock crawl event
Next Sunday A Saddle Up work party with hopefully equipment ( back hoe & track hoe )
Saturday the 20th or maybe the 27th NOOB Fest ( sponsored by Torx )

Allot going on for sure!! Anyway either weekend for us.

Honestly, I don't gave a problem with it staying on the 20th. If its changed to the 27th the attendance may suffer. It's been on our fb page set for the 20th for a while now. But what ever needs to happen should. I just don't see the problem keeping it the way it is

I'm semi committed to the 20th. I've wheeled TSF the same day as the Jolly Jambo the past few years. The trails usually aren't too congested. It's mostly the obstacles and features that can get backed up towards the end of the day.

Back