• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Track Bar questions

Jeepedo129

NAXJA Forum User
I've been browsing the web for info about track bars and no where have I found the answer to my question. So..... here it goes, might sound stupid, but I would rather ask and know before I buy.

My jeep as it sits is roughly, maybe, 3.5in ish. Haven't measured, used to know what the measurement was from the wheel to fender, but have since dumped that from my brain. I put on the HD offroad frame stiffeners in the front which moved my track bar bracket about an 1/8th of an inch or so towards the driver side, which has screwed up my steering wheel. I would like to fix this problem and I think an adjustable track bar will do the trick, but which one?

On my last rig I had the Teraflex track bar and I didn't have any issues with it, but, I dont remember paying almost 250$ for it seems like their prices went up. :dunno: Also, I would like to get rid of the stock frame mount to get rid of the TRE but I've read that I need a drop pitman arm, and I'm not into putting a DP on my rig. Anyway I would like to hear some opinions on this before I drop a couple hundred on a track bar. Thanks!

Buy a Heavy Duty double shear tack bar. It will come with a new frame bracket. Iron Rock Off Road makes a nice one.

XJ Cherokee do not need a drop pitman arm until they have more than 6-8" of lift.

Turning the threaded coupler on the drag link will adjust your steering wheel.

There are several manufacturers of the double sheer trac bar.
You can check with Rubicon Express; I have been running theirs for over 10 years and has worked very well in that time.

IRO, TNT, Clayton, RE

Make sure to get the brace for the bracket as well. Once you start going through rocks, those couple bolts won't hold the track bar very well.

Buy a Heavy Duty double shear tack bar. It will come with a new frame bracket. Iron Rock Off Road makes a nice one.

XJ Cherokee do not need a drop pitman arm until they have more than 6-8" of lift.

Turning the threaded coupler on the drag link will adjust your steering wheel.

I like the IRO track bar they have. Not too bad of a price.

I can change the steering wheel drag link, but isn't my steering still going to be off a little due to the fact that my axle is being pulled a little to the drivers side?

Still drives straight, just a cocked steering wheel.

the axle being 1/8th inch farther to the drivers side isn't going to change anything enough to be a problem. You will be fine with an adjustment of the drag link to center the wheel.

I've seen/driven enough other XJ's with over an inch of off-centered axle that would still run straight and hold a decent alignment.

Make sure to get the brace for the bracket as well. Once you start going through rocks, those couple bolts won't hold the track bar very well.

This. I cracked an unbraced bracket just from the stress. I replaced it with a RE bracket/brace setup and all was fine. Now I have a Ruffsruff bracket welded to the rail when I did my 1ton build. One of these days I'll build a brace for it too but its been holding up with out one. I also like the idea of doing a small bead or two with a bolt on bracket for a little extra insurance.

Ok, I'll straighten the steering wheel and see how she rides. Then I'll save up some dough and pick up a double sheer track bar. I've liked RE in the past, I've heard they're not as good since their bankruptcy or what ever happened a couple years ago. Eventually, I plan on sitting around 6-7in so I can have 33s. So I guess I should spend the money on a track bar that will work for both.

Trim the fenders, extend the bump stops, and run 33's on the 3.5" lift you have now. I would not go over 4.5" for 33's or its going to feel unstable when sidehilling and it looks goofy IMHO.

+1 on the IRO double shear track bar. It's pure beef (1/4" bracket, 1.25" solid stock bar) and very reasonably priced for the quality ($190 + shipping). I like RE stuff too but you can't beat IRO parts for the money short of fabbing them yourself.

Ok, I've adjusted the drag link. Steering wheel is straight again. The jeep drives straight and no bump steer, so I'm ging to hold out on a trac bar right now and save to get the double sheer adjustable one from IRO. 200 bucks is a good price but I just had an A/C line blow out on me, and with it being 100* outside, the A/C takes precedence. :mad: someday I'll get to spend money on my jeep.......someday

Back