• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

quick WJ knuckle question (ball joints)

VAhasnoWAVES

NAXJA Forum User
it is my understanding that for the WJ swap i need XJ uppers (which are essentially the same as WJ uppers? same part number even?) and WJ lowers... because of a different taper on the lower BJ, right?

now... when i was at the parts store pricing, i found that there were a lot of camber options with adjustable BJs. i dont need to deal with any of this, correct?

Nope, only if you have camber issues (bent C's). Otherwise just a standard replacement for the WJ/JK is needed for the lower BJ.

thanks! i didnt think it was important...

are there recomendations over moog or spicer products? ive been running durafail, and want to put a little longevity into my axle now. the synergy suspension ones seem to be fairly priced...

I'm running Moogs right now (problem solvers Lifetime Warranty and such), but was looking at the Alloy USA units from Serious next (might buy just to have on hand come next re&re). Death Wobble killed my last set of lowers.
My Moogs ran me $374cdn (top/bottoms and left/right) so the Alloy USA's are actually considerably cheaper for me. I've heard Spicer were the way to go but heard the stock WJ BJ's were weak from the factory and wore prematurely - which would be Spicer.

The wife's wj still runs factory ball joints after 180,000 miles, guess weak and wear prematurely means something different around here? Oh, and she runs 35's on the stock front end.

The wife's wj still runs factory ball joints after 180,000 miles, guess weak and wear prematurely means something different around here? Oh, and she runs 35's on the stock front end.

Just passing along what I had heard. But form the looks of things the synergy and alloy usa are good options.

I got maybe 2-3 runs out of spicer WJ balljoints before they were toast. Replaced probably 4 sets before going to Moog's, and then later Synergy's.

I know a bunch of other locals had similar results. Maybe we use our rigs harder out here? :)

The uppers are exactly the same part number, iirc K3134T but don't quote me on that. The lowers are different, you want what's considered a Super D30 balljoint. Based on the fact that the uppers are the same, when I ordered parts for my swap (which I ended up selling) I just got Spicer full upper/lower sets, since they were cheaper than buying 4 separate balljoints.

I got maybe 2-3 runs out of spicer WJ balljoints before they were toast. Replaced probably 4 sets before going to Moog's, and then later Synergy's.

I know a bunch of other locals had similar results. Maybe we use our rigs harder out here? :)
i killed my brand new spicers in a similar amount of time. i actually replaced one with a napa house brand when i needed one in an emergency and it lasted much longer than the spicer's. i also went to the Synergy's and had good luck. i plan on swapping to the synergys on my d60 if and when i kill the cheap ones i got for the time being.

i found those last night...

considering the fact that parts stores around here are quoting me almost $200 for one... yes... ONE... set of moog BJs, ill be ordering these. thanks for the reaffirmation that this was the way to go!

We run them on the Team Naxja car. We have had 1 (not one set, 1 joint) fail. It got loose after a 60 mph barrel roll. We still ran the entire weekend on it, another full trip of pre-running, and then replaced it before King of the Hammers. Richard mentioned it to the Synergy rep @ KOH (they had a booth), and they responded by giving us another set on the spot - warranty replacements.

I am more than sold.

Back