• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

p0700 code comes back after clearing it, without driving?

CRANKBAIT

NAXJA Forum User
so i didn't pass emissions, had a p0700, p0740 codes. i took apart nss cleaned and checked its function with dvm. every thing was good. started the jeep, cycled through the gears without driving, and code p0700 came back on? any ideas? TIA:huh:

Just a quick clarification....The title of your post would indicate you cleared the codes; however the text of your post make it sound like you did not. Did you use a scantool to clear the DTC's? If you didn't the codes will still be present until a certain number of drive cycles (quite a few if memory serves) or you disconnect the battery long enough for the capacitors to discharge that hold the DTC info. Simply removing and cleaning the NSS will not immediately resolve your MIL.

Also, the cleaning process for the NSS does not ALWAYS work in restoring proper function. Every now and then you may have to bite the bullet and purchase a new one if the symptoms keep pointing to it. I think they're around $200 if you have to purchase one new.

yes i cleared the codes with a scan tool. also i know the nss is working because i checked it for continuity between the the proper pins on the bulk connector before and after re-installing it.

0740 is malfunction of torque converter clutch circuit. I would ohm out the solenoid. Mine did the same the solenoids checked out and it ended up being a bad torque converter. Is there any smells or does it seem like its higher rpm than usual at highway speed?

that is correct, the p0740 is the tcc solenoid. the solenoid ohmed out at 21ohms which is out of spec. but why is the cel code not turning back on? only the p0700. i have gone through all the checks and specs i could find. i just dont want to buy and install the solenoid if it wont fix the problem. maybe i should just bite the bullet and do the tcc and shift solenoids. oh and there is no funny smells or noises. but the tcc is def not locking up.

I got a bad reading at the tcm but a good reading in the pan. Also check all the plugs and the gray and black plugs on the passenger side.

If the TC isn't locking up though if say you either got a bad solenoid or tcc.

The 0700 could be any trans malfunction. I don't get why the 0740 isn't popping again though.

i ohm the solenoid at the bulk connector under the hood. i believe it was the correct on. i checked the wire colors going into the trans and then checked the same color wires at the bulk connector. the shift solenoids ohm at 12.5 and the tcc at 21

Did you get it up to highway speed since you cleared it? Even with bad torque converter I'd have to do a couple cycles and hit 50-60 before code would pop.

yes, i drive 60-70mph quite often. thats why i dont understand the p0740 code not coming back on. and the p0700 code comes back on after clearing it with out even leaving the driveway

ok, thanks i'm going to order them tonight and install them whenever they get here. i noticed that if i buy the shift and tcc solenoids separate they are cheeper?

Back