• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dash kit for 95 Jeep

Magus2727

NAXJA Forum User
I got a used stereo to replace the one that was stolen. I have not installed a stereo in the jeep before (previous owner installed the previous aftermarket radio). It looks like the thieves stole almost everything along with cutting the wires.

it looks like there are differnt types of dash kits.

http://www.amazon.com/Metra-99-6501...=1371694282&sr=1-7&keywords=cherokee+dash+kit

Is this the right dash kit for the 95? if not what do people recommend?

Looks fine.
those kits usually have enough pieces to install the radio in 100 different cars.
they are usually also kind of like a swiss army knife, slightly better than a rock at everything.
its a good place to start, but use you noggin, poorly written instructions translated three times isnt always the best way

Well, that listing has a "Does this fit your application" button, and it says it doesn't.

As to what does, can't help, other than recommend you talk to a radio installation store.

That's what I was not sure about. Amazon says it does not fit. but looks like the mounting points are in the right places. Only 1 place (crutchfield) shows a kit that fits but looks nothing like it should for a single din after market radio. Perhaps a swing by the local best buy....

I have thought of just making my own also. I have fiberglass and resin should be rather straight forward to use the metal locking shell the receiver plugs into. a small wrap around the cage and then a small flange. I can just cut to fit and drill holes for the mounting points.

95 won't need a dash kit since its single din. Just need the sleeve that comes with the new stereo and a wiring adapter

I have installed a couple of aftermarket radios in a Jeep and found that you don't really need a kit like the one in the link but you will need to find the Jeep specific bracket that attaches to the radio and then screws on the front of the opening. The reason you need the Jeep one is that the bracket wraps around from the sides through the top and the top section has a small lip that comes out to attach the rear onto a small lip at the back of the opening. If you don't have this, the whole thing will flop around.

I have installed Sony, Panasonic and Jensen single DIN's with almost no issues. The one thing I did run into on the Sony (CD player model) was that I had to trim the sides of the front bezel (that fits across the front of the dash) a bit on the sides to get the cover plate on.

For the bracket, the easiest would probably be to hit a junk yard, pull the radio out and simply scavenge it from the old radio.

HTH
Todd

I have installed a couple of aftermarket radios in a Jeep and found that you don't really need a kit like the one in the link but you will need to find the Jeep specific bracket that attaches to the radio and then screws on the front of the opening. The reason you need the Jeep one is that the bracket wraps around from the sides through the top and the top section has a small lip that comes out to attach the rear onto a small lip at the back of the opening. If you don't have this, the whole thing will flop around.

I have installed Sony, Panasonic and Jensen single DIN's with almost no issues. The one thing I did run into on the Sony (CD player model) was that I had to trim the sides of the front bezel (that fits across the front of the dash) a bit on the sides to get the cover plate on.

For the bracket, the easiest would probably be to hit a junk yard, pull the radio out and simply scavenge it from the old radio.

HTH
Todd

yep, the magic radio bracket is really all you need. While you are at the junkyard, grab a new dash bezel if your current one has been hacked up.

HTH
Todd

I will do this, they have a lot of XJ's in the junk yards around here. Since the radio was stolen they unscrewed the bracket instead of pulling the radio from the sleeve.

was not sure if a dash kit was needed or not since I have never actually seen the stock radio. I have a wire harness already to work with since when it was stolen they cut everything so I will be splicing everything together.

Thanks.

I always use the bracket from a stock radio and drill holes in it to mount to the side of the new radio. Also, I get the wire kit from Walmart since they are cheap and work fine. I guess I have installed a dozen stereo's in XJ's and I do them all the same.

If you have a radio with a remove-able face plate allow the stereo to stick out a little further so the face plate will have room to open/pivot.

I pre-wire on the work bench soldering and shrink wrapping everything then its just "plug and play" when you have the dash apart.

Back