• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix issues

XJ Stryker

WHO DAT!
Ok my problem started i was offroading and hit a mudhole, jeep start stumbling and bucking and would not go after about a minute it was like nothing happened but every morning samething. Buck and stumble for a few minutes then clear up. Well its been about two weeks and still it is happening but now its not clearing up.

So far i have cleaned all spark plugs, cleaned throttle body and IAC. Took O2 sensor off and brushed it off. Ran it with it and with out it no change. Cleaned all grounds.

Little video of it when it is cold.

5cda8e66fe1cb86074e6848bd7ef9bd8.mp4

Good chance of water condensation still in the harness/connectors, and/or TPS has been damaged by water--VERY COMMON OCCURRENCE. Also, you may have condensation under the distributor cap, also common.

Try pulling apart your connections and spraying them with ELECTRICAL CONTACT CLEANER--available any parts store--and test the TPS through its full range of motion with an ANALOG or high-impedance test meter.

Cruiser54 has posts on testing and adjusting the TPS.

Remove the distributor cap and check for condensation, if it has it use the electrical contact cleaner in there too.

Good luck.

I have done a ton of your test cruiser. Some tests are hard to follow though as i have no clue where are what the sensor is lol. Thought i could eliminate the sensors since this problem tends to get better the longer it runs and warms up.

I've got kind of a system for cleaning out my ignition system after a Renix bath. I pull all the plug wires and clean them out with q-tips then blow then out with air, same with the distributor cap and the coil to cap wire.

Hook up a timing light to the individual plug wires, not the coil to cap wire. and check each individual plug for proper rhythm and firing. Pull a plug wire and check spark.

I do a volt test at the larger yellow wire at the ignition module. I've had so much line leak through moisture, the ignition module was only getting 9-10 volts. Then it is time to start disconnecting connectors and cleaning them out and tryng to figure out where the voltage is going (or not going).

A simple question and kind of a DUH type thing, but what does your air cleaner filter look like? I've dove in and started looking for exotic problems before checking my filter. Slap forehead here.

Weak spark? One of the first places I look is between the coil and the ignition module, it is open to the elements and a mud trap.

Do a voltage test at the battery terminals with the motor running, the alternator gets full of muddy water, it dries and turns to clay and can mess with the brushes and/or short things out. A litte voltage loss here and there adds up.

After the basics are checked, you can start with the exotic. Most times it is something basic.

Like mentioned, moisture collects under the sync sensor mounting plate in the distributor, hard to see, it turns to vapor and can cause all sorts of misfires.

I just avoid MUD, great preventive tool LOL.

I found me problem. Well atleast 99% sure. I bought a new exhaust manifold last year and have had plans to change it due yo an exhaust leak. Well all the bolts were loose so that was that problem but i got it off and a new one so i aint putting the old one back on. Well i guess my CPS wire was a lil close cause it burnt through. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371853120.330633.jpg

Thanks for the help once i get it all back together i will post up results. Once again thanks!

I just avoid MUD, great preventive tool LOL.

I sure would if I could, I have 3300 hectares of hunting lease I have to patrol. Half the year it is snow, the other half mud. I've gotten pretty good at cleanup over the years. There are places out there if you stop, your XJ may disappear and never be seen again.

There are places out there if you stop, your XJ may disappear and never be seen again.

That could explain how those XJs are getting into China...

That could explain how those XJs are getting into China...
Peat bogs can really fool you, looks like a nice meadow. Underneath it is a dozen feet of Peat Moss over another dozen feet of slim. You have to be really carefull where you park.:wow:

Well i got it back together last night but i tried to short cut 10 bucks and didnt replace the injector o rings. Well three of them didnt like being removed so they spewed fuel. Got up early grabbed some from oreilly and re put it back together. Fired up great. Gonna test drive it here in a bit. But sounds strong at the moment.

Back