• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grinding noise when revved

xjrick94

NAXJA Forum User
This noise started happening about a month ago. Lately it has been getting worst and worst and i finally parked the jeep until i get it fixed. I was googling my issue yesterday and it sounds like its my AC condenser after reading this description.

When the air conditioning condenser is beginning to go out it will begin to grind. Since it is connected to the serpentine belt, it will suffer from problems that may have been related to the belt. If the air conditioning unit does begin to go out you will hear a low grinding sound that gets more noticeable when you rev the engine or start the system.

Is there any way to test that it is the AC condenser causing this noise before I spend the cash on a replacement?

the condenser is in front of the radiator, that post should say compressor clutch.

it's possible that is your noise. other likely culprits are the bearings in the alternator, the bearings in the waterpump (but that would likely cause a leak), or the crankshaft balancer beginning to separate and contacting the timing cover.

if you're unable to determine where the noise is coming from yourself your best bet would be to have a mechanic take a look at it and give you an estimate rather than just throwing random parts on it. then you can take the mechanic's advice and do the work yourself if you want to save yourself some money.

edit: is it driveable still? your location says lynwood if you're in lynwood CA you're welcome to bring it by my place in Gardena some saturday after I get off of work and I'd be glad to take a look at it for you.

Last edited:
Thanks. If I'm driving normal the noise isn't there. It only happens when I give it a quick rev, even in neutral, or if I go full throttle. Its also noticeable at times when starting.

It also happens while parked and in neutral. Would the tc being loose still cause an issue while not moving?

the converter is bolted to the flex plate, which is bolted to the crankshaft. if the engine is running its moving. converter bolts being loose usually makes a knocking sound when starting or shutting off the engine, not a grinding sound.

GrimmJeeper,

I see that you're local. If I can't track this noise down is there a mechanic that you would recommend to have them diagnose this? I'm maybe 15 miles from Redondo Beach.

I edited my first post to say that you're welcome to bring it by my place some saturday after I get off work. I'm off at 1pm, and my shop space is in Gardena which is even closer to you, right where the 110 and the 91 meet. shoot me a PM i'll be over there this saturday meeting up with another member to give him some tires.

I edited my first post to say that you're welcome to bring it by my place some saturday after I get off work. I'm off at 1pm, and my shop space is in Gardena which is even closer to you, right where the 110 and the 91 meet. shoot me a PM i'll be over there this saturday meeting up with another member to give him some tires.
:gonnablow Thanks for the offer but I'll be out of town Saturday. If you're free any other day let me know and I'll take it over. Thanks.

My apologies if I try to correct you.
My flex plate to torque converter bolts came loose on my 91. I could drive it just fine but if I took the rpms past 1800 in neutral or park I would hear a loud grinding noise. Could have been a black sheep though...

My apologies if I try to correct you.
My flex plate to torque converter bolts came loose on my 91. I could drive it just fine but if I took the rpms past 1800 in neutral or park I would hear a loud grinding noise. Could have been a black sheep though...
Thanks I'll take a look.

Back