• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

04 TJ 4.0 swap to 01 XJ.

BMXxXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, tried searching but could find exactly what i needed.

What does it take to do this swap correctly? my main questions are, what do i do about the oil filter? and how do the accessories transfer over? i heard brown dog makes mounts to work with this swap.

can anyone chime in a shed some light on this?

My current motor has 180k on and just cracked it's 2nd head. i have oil pressure issues and it's leaking oil from the bottom end. The 04 motor is at 96k and is the right price. Trying to see how much the cost and parts and difficulty of this swap. Thanks for the help.

XJ Cherokee and ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine blocks interchange.

2000+ TJ Wrangler and WJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine blocks interchange.

XJ/ZJ blocks and 2000+ TJ/WJ blocks do not interchange without significant modifications. (1991 to 1995 YJ and 1997-1999 4.0L TJ Wrangler blocks will interchange in XJ/ZJ and visa-versa).

TJ/WJ 4.0L Engine blocks underwent clean sheet design changes effective in the 1999 WJ Grand and 2000 TJ Wrangler. These blocks are not interchangeable with XJ/ZJ engine blocks. The reason is motor mount bolt holes and belt driven accessory mounting bolt holes are in different locations, or not present at all, TJ/WJ vs. XJ/ZJ.

XJ: "Regular" (not Grand) Cherokees 84-01
ZJ: Grand Cherokee 93-98 (Gen1)
WJ: Grand Cherokee 99-04 (Gen2)
YJ: Wrangler 87-95 (Gen1)
TJ: Wrangler 97-06 (Gen2)

XJ Cherokee and ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine blocks interchange.

2000+ TJ Wrangler and WJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine blocks interchange.

XJ/ZJ blocks and 2000+ TJ/WJ blocks do not interchange without significant modifications. (1991 to 1995 YJ and 1997-1999 4.0L TJ Wrangler blocks will interchange in XJ/ZJ and visa-versa).

TJ/WJ 4.0L Engine blocks underwent clean sheet design changes effective in the 1999 WJ Grand and 2000 TJ Wrangler. These blocks are not interchangeable with XJ/ZJ engine blocks. The reason is motor mount bolt holes and belt driven accessory mounting bolt holes are in different locations, or not present at all, TJ/WJ vs. XJ/ZJ.

XJ: "Regular" (not Grand) Cherokees 84-01
ZJ: Grand Cherokee 93-98 (Gen1)
WJ: Grand Cherokee 99-04 (Gen2)
YJ: Wrangler 87-95 (Gen1)
TJ: Wrangler 97-06 (Gen2)

i knew this information already. i asked how the swap can be done, not a copy and pasted tech sample.

So if that is the case, all of us 00-01 XJ guys, cant use ANY other blocks?

Maybe that is why our price is higher vs other years.

from my research so far, you need motor mounts (brown dog apparently makes ones for this but they aren't on the site), a oil filter relocation kit, have to use the xj water pump, and all the belt driven accessories from the TJ, plus mod the wiring harness slightly. PITA but possible.

i'm on the fence about this.

from what i'm gathering the 00-01 XJ motor is basically a 99 block with a 00-06 head and a different intake and exhaust manifolds. I guess when Jeep resigned the block for the WJ and TJ they knew the XJ was on it's way out and only mated the head to get the distributor-less ignition and better flowing head. cost saving's crap!

Take your TJ head and put it on the XJ motor; It will be the TUPY casting. That is much easier than making the TJ motor work in the XJ.

Take your TJ head and put it on the XJ motor; It will be the TUPY casting. That is much easier than making the TJ motor work in the XJ.

x2. Using a WJ or 00+ TJ block in an XJ or ZJ is a pain and not worth the effort.

x2. Using a WJ or 00+ TJ block in an XJ or ZJ is a pain and not worth the effort.

not buy a whole motor for just the head, my motor has cracked 2 heads now and i have oil pressure issues (i run rotella 15w to compensate, have been for 80k now with no problems or drop in pressure, it's well within range) so why fix a motor with 180k just to have to replace it in the future. ideally, i'd love to build a stroker, but funds do not allow for that at this time.

Your motor did not crack the heads. The 0331 casting is too thin on top and a bad design. The question is not IF they will crack, but rather WHEN. I stand by my earlier recommendation.

Your motor did not crack the heads. The 0331 casting is too thin on top and a bad design. The question is not IF they will crack, but rather WHEN. I stand by my earlier recommendation.

Just for clarification the 0331 head was strengthened in 2003 and those don't crack like the earlier ones. You can tell by the "TUPY" between #3 and #4 cylinders. Some say 2002, but I have seen some 2002 that are non tupy.

I just talked to a guy who got a J & C enterprises new 0331 head. He said he laid the castings side by side and it's twice as thick. I plan on getting one of theirs. That might be a better solution for you BMX, and have your lower end gone through, bearings, etc.

Back