• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bigger front brakes on an 89

JeEpXjSaM

NAXJA Forum User
Is it easier to upgrade the front brakes on an 89? A bit about my rig it's a 1989 Jeep Cherokee lardo, 4 in home brew lift, 31 tsl swamers on bronco2 steel wheels, home built heavy duty winch bumper/brushguard with 8500 lb ebay special winch, duel 700 cca batteries, and about 200 pounds of gear in the back and i tow with it often. I have heard that the caliper bracket on an 89 will unbolt. So will this make it harder or easier? What are the best donor vehicles? Gonna be upgrading to 33 tsl swampers, a 30 gal gas tank, and building a heavy duty rear bumper/tire carrier. any ideas guys? I hope this is the right thread for this. thanks

Why not put an 8.25 in the rear if you don't have one already and put ZJ or Liberty discs on the back?

95 to 96 dual diaphragm brake booster swap will help immensely.

Rear disc brakes are easier to install than upgrading front discs.
You can find more aggressive brake pads, though for an 89 options are limited.
Or you can swap to WJ front brakes (99-04 Grand Cherokee, requires new hubs ball joints steering knuckles rotors & calipers, possibly wheels, costs $800 easy) or look up Savvy Offroad, they sell big brake kits too.
Beyond brake pads, upgrading the fronts gets expensive quick.
Yeah. Google search "WJ booster swap naxja" and you should come up with something. Basically, you put a better power booster in your rig & the brakes work better, even if its all the same junky parts.

I have the dana 44 in the rear.I already planed on the crown vic discs in the back, the wj booster swap and zj prop valve swap. I was just wondering about the front because the caliper brackets unbolt on the 89 dana 30. Thanks for the input.

I think the Savvy Offroad kits, actually made by Vanco Power Brake Systems, are based on the '89 knuckle but it isn't strictly a bolt-on affair; the kits come with knuckles.

I know the wj swap is a popular one, but I put the hp 44 front axle in for under $300. I can't fathom an $800 brake upgrade for a dana 30 being worth the money, especially if you haven't already put money into it for things like gears or a locker etc.

I just noticed that my dana 30 is hp. Ive had it for a year and a half and just noticed. I was looking for a cheap upgrade, but ill probably just buy some better brake pads for now. then ill save up and find a 44 for p front. How good is the factory dana 44 in the rear? My heep has the factory tow package too.

Last edited:
Do a 95-96 booster and master cylinder. To use the explorer rear disks, go with zj rotors, and swap the spring from the proportioning valve to a disk zj spring. The 95-96 booster is dual diaphragm and is a bolt in, no modifying the rod or any of that crap. Get the pedal from the donor jeep when you do it. WJ swap is knuckles, spacers, lots of work, and it will set you back 300+ dollars.

I spent over 900$ on the brake part of the WJ swap doing it right with quality parts. I just sold it all for next to nothing and now am swapping in a HP44 with the thunderbird calipers from a 70s ford bronco.
you might as well swap in a hp44 if youre gonna do the WJ swap. I regret not jsut going straight there, bigger brakes by far with the thunderbird calipers than the WJ swap. something to consider. plus the 30 is tiny in comparrison to a 44.

Back