• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Jeep Need Ideas.

Kingkong0192

NAXJA Forum User
Just bought another XJ. It's a 1999 XJ Limited with 118,000 on the clock. Full leather, heated seats, etc etc.

It has a 4.0/AW4/NP242.

Front Axle - HPD30

Rear Axle - D35 (It has ABS.)

Paid $3,000 for it.

Has typical jeep rust but it's not bad. The unibody is in perfect shape. Rockers are rusty, and the rear passenger door have some rust on them but i'm not too worried about it. I'll cut out the rust spots and weld in replacement metal.

I want to keep this jeep as a daily driver so my plans include nothing crazy. I'm just looking for suggestions on what brand lift to get, stuff i might be forgetting, etc etc.

I want 3" of lift at minimum and 3.5" at maximum. I want it to ride smooth as well. Would short arms ride rough at this height? Any lift recommendations? I might take it off-road occasionally but nothing too crazy.

Aside from that i want to do this;

- JCR Front Bumper (No winch - the recessed one.)
- JCR Rear Bumper (just a hitch nothing crazy.)
- JCR Sliders
- 8.25 Upgraded with disc brakes
- I'm thinking i want to run 31" ATs. Any other ideas?

Do any of you have suggestions on lift kits, skid plates, etc that i should know about? If you were to build another jeep what would you do to it?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Just bought another XJ. It's a 1999 XJ Limited with 118,000 on the clock. Full leather, heated seats, etc etc.

Do you have suggestions on lift kits, skid plates, etc that i should know about? If you were to build another jeep what would you do to it?
My brother bought a 2000 XJ several months ago. This is what we have done to get it more off-road worthy after changing all the fluids,
servicing the cooling system, brakes and checking the tightness of the u-joints, ball joints, track bar, TREs and all other moving parts.

To start, for a 3" or 3-1/2" lift with 31"s
Old Man Emu medium lift kit w/ coils, leafs and shocks. New u-bolts.
Adjust bump stops, front and rear, to prevent bottoming.
Trim front lower shock mount to allow down travel as necessary.
V-8 ZJ tie rod or equivalent.
Re-drill axle track bar bracket, if needed or new adjustable track bar.
Front end alignment after lift.
Lower front brake hose bracket to prevent stretching or use new, longer hoses, if necessary.
Transfer case drop (3/4-1") to eliminate the rear driveshaft vibs.
Front sway bar disconnects.
Gas tank, transfer case and LCA skids. Axle cover armor.
Rock bars.
Transmission cooler.
Trimmed fenders and raised flares, as necessary.
Recalibrate speedometer, if bothered by the inaccurate reading.
Wheel spacers or rims with less offset to increase stability and to prevent rubbing on LCAs
Attachment points- rear HD trailer hitch, front aftermarket optional OEM type. Front or rear bumper may be built with attachment points, with proper frame tie-in.

That should keep you busy and broke for a while.

More options to consider as money and time is available
Regear and add traction devices.
Power steering cooler
Bigger front and rear brakes
Upgrade battery cables and grounds
Aftermarket UCAs and UCAs and/or trackbar.
Steering box reinforcement brackets (C-ROK or JKS or other)

Back