• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ARB/Differential Torque Values

WildernessJeep

NAXJA Forum User
Disclaimer: I'm used to working on european motorcycles, which have torque values for every drain plug and body panel fastener, so maybe I'm just being paranoid.

I am putting this (now repaired) ARB air locker back into my 98 XJ (Dana 30). At some point, there are certain bolts (diff cover) that you shouldn't need a torque value for, but there are others that are very important (115 ft/lbs).

I'm concerned about the ring gear bolts, that go through the flange cap on the ARB and hold the ring gear on. They are grade 8 bolts, with a "D" on the head and a "10" in the middle. The best answer I can get so far is to torque them to the "bolt value", which would be what? Also the use of red or blue (or no) locktite is questioned. Opinions?

Are there any other torque values I need to be worried about? Carrier bolts?

Nope. All the shimming and preload steps are there, but no torque values. On page 16 it just says "according to manufacture's guidelines". The interwebs are saying either 55 ft/lbs or 80 ft/lbs, depending on the source. Some say 55 will work loose, while others say 80 will strip out. Apparently red locktite is needed.

Carrier bolts at 60 ft/lbs?

Last edited:
My ARB manual says "according to your vehicle manufacturer’s specified torque", and my FSM says D30 ring gear bolts are 70-90 ft. lbs of torque. It's been a long time since mine was installed, maybe someone with recent experience can chime in.

Back