• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

broken key in door lock cylinder

Devilfrog

NAXJA Forum User
So, my new "to me" MJ has a few issues to deal with ... one of which is a broken key in the drivers side lock cylinder ... any suggestions to remove it, or is it one of those things where you just replace it? It's already got two keys (doors and ignition) I'd really like to avoid having three ... and chances the wreckers will have a matching set around here WITH keys ... not overly good.
It's an 88 MJ 5spd 2wd 4.0L

Figured it would come to that,

Thanks
Dave

Remove it and carefully disassemble the little cap that holds the pins and springs in place. You should be able to wiggle the broken key out. My 89 had a really worn out housing that I replaced to retain having one key for both doors and hatch.

You have probably resolved this one way or another by now, but several years ago I broke a key off in a door lock cylinder. I was able to put a drop of superglue on a straightened out paper clip, very carefully glue the paper clip to the key stub in the door, let it set for a few minutes, and pull out the stub.

You have probably resolved this one way or another by now, but several years ago I broke a key off in a door lock cylinder. I was able to put a drop of superglue on a straightened out paper clip, very carefully glue the paper clip to the key stub in the door, let it set for a few minutes, and pull out the stub.

NICE TIP!

pulled the lock, took it into a locksmith and they called me back saying it was bets to replace it. Turns out the dust cover was broken and that's likely what broke the key in the first place. So ordered a new pair of cylinders, and I'll just replace the set. It's the older two key set anyway so no big changes there.

Back