• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2x6 Rockers

XJRN

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to replace my rockers and thought I would pick up some steel today after work to get started this weekend, but I didn't measure how much I need. Does anyone know the dimensions I need so I don't have to wait until next week as the steel store isn't open on the weekend? I want to go the entire length including under the fender.

I am doing mine as we speak. I made mine exactly 65" and It should be close but shy of the trimmed fender opening. Depends on your trimming though. 68" each would prob be around stock... Maybe

I wish I could remember how long I cut mine to. But don't forget to add some bevels/miters to help them slide over rocks. Be sure to buy .188 wall for them to last and not get bashed in. .120 wall will work if you are a light duty wheeler type, but .188 for rocks for sure.

standard.jpg

Yeah I am doing 3/16" wall and I am trimmed pretty heavily in the front and cut/folded in the rear. I can get a few extra inches and cut them off at home, but just didn't want to be short nor buy a bunch of extra material. Thanks guys.

Plan for 12ft, 6ft per side. Realistically it takes around 5.5ft on each side but its better to have a little too much then to come up short.

i did 2x5 spaced out a inch, mine are exactly 5 ft fit perfect but im also stuffing 42's, i also added some tube kickers to help keep the body off on trees

564953_4128414561677_423034641_n.jpg

i did 2x5 spaced out a inch, mine are exactly 5 ft fit perfect but im also stuffing 42's, i also added some tube kickers to help keep the body off on trees

564953_4128414561677_423034641_n.jpg

Very NICE.

I got the steel (only had enough for one side so had to order the rest) and started tonight. Got one side cut out, seat out and carpet pulled back for the legs through the floor. Tomorrow I'll start cutting and welding the tube to get ready for install and move to the other side.

I hear ya. I think I am going to do 3. Where I put the first two doesn't really leave a lot of room for 4 unless 2 are really close together. Is it going to fold?

I run 5 legs per side, bout a foot apart. Rear most one is tied into the leaf hanger, front is where the control arm mounts are. Mines skinned with 1/8" plate that has a layer of 1/2" plastic over it.

Plan for 12ft, 6ft per side. Realistically it takes around 5.5ft on each side but its better to have a little too much then to come up short.
That is what I did, got a random drop from a friends metal shop of 12ft, just cut it into 6 ft pieces. I only have gotten one side down, but cutting the front and rear pieces about a 45 degree angle leaves me about 8" or so of a scrap piece. I did however trim both the fenders down some. The front sticks a couple inches into where the fender mount goes, but I did it so it is roughly flush with the fender opening. Then the rear stuck out 1/4" or so from the end of the old rocker panel.

In my case also I am doing some heavy gauge steel as floor replacement panels that goes right to the new rocker panel. Still will probably put a couple of "cross supports" in there to the main torque rails, but will decide once I get the floor pieces welded in lol. Project has taken WAY too long at this point so I want to try making as much progress as possible in the next month or two, hopefully to have it done by August.

Not sure how far up you are planning to take the bottom edge of the sill to mate up with the rocker tube, I unfolded the recess in my old rocker panels after where the door edges are, and bent it down up to where the inside lip is. Welded the whole length to the rocker tube with a slight angle further more and this way I can run unmodified stock doors on it and still have a tiny bit of room (for a liner coating I am still doing) and it will drip away any water that gets near it. I thinkI still have some pics somewhere of what I did, can upload them if you are interested in checking them out...

Paint

That is what I did, got a random drop from a friends metal shop of 12ft, just cut it into 6 ft pieces. I only have gotten one side down, but cutting the front and rear pieces about a 45 degree angle leaves me about 8" or so of a scrap piece. I did however trim both the fenders down some. The front sticks a couple inches into where the fender mount goes, but I did it so it is roughly flush with the fender opening. Then the rear stuck out 1/4" or so from the end of the old rocker panel.

In my case also I am doing some heavy gauge steel as floor replacement panels that goes right to the new rocker panel. Still will probably put a couple of "cross supports" in there to the main torque rails, but will decide once I get the floor pieces welded in lol. Project has taken WAY too long at this point so I want to try making as much progress as possible in the next month or two, hopefully to have it done by August.

Not sure how far up you are planning to take the bottom edge of the sill to mate up with the rocker tube, I unfolded the recess in my old rocker panels after where the door edges are, and bent it down up to where the inside lip is. Welded the whole length to the rocker tube with a slight angle further more and this way I can run unmodified stock doors on it and still have a tiny bit of room (for a liner coating I am still doing) and it will drip away any water that gets near it. I thinkI still have some pics somewhere of what I did, can upload them if you are interested in checking them out...

Paint

Sure. I'd like to see what you have done.

This project sux! Welding to sheet metal blows! I have it all put together just trying to stitch all of the metal together.

Concentrate the heat on the 3/16" then work your pool into the thinner sheet metal.

Back