• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alignment teak????

BoBDoG2o02

NAXJA Forum User
Just put 3" under my survivor XJ - '96 2 door. 5 speed - 4.0L

320,000 MILES. Gotta love lots of main bearings.......

Just had this thing aligned and NTB didnt center the steering wheel after the alignment.

No big deal i can fix but somebody here might be able to help me with which way to go with the adjuster.

Wheel Points left while the vehicle travels straight. Should i make the shaft longer or shorter with the adjuster????

longer brah..

Sorry Tracedaddy, I respectfully disagree. If steering wheel is pointing to left when vehicle is going straight, and draglink goes from steering box to the passenger side knuckle and the knuckle is a front steer, you need to shorten the draglink. Think about it, if you were to straighten the steering wheel to center, the draglink would be pushed to the passenger side and the vehicle would then turn to the right. To fix this you would need to make the draglink go back to the drivers side without moving the steering wheel, hence you would need to shorten the draglink.

Or just get a friend to sit in the seat and tell you which way it goes as you turn the adjuster collar... Lol don't make it harder on yourself, I did that myself and learned its easier and quicker to just have someone sit in the seat and tell you. Keeps ya from having to get back up and down and checking to make sure its going the right direction or not and then trying to make it adjust to the right length

The way I think of this is to adjust the wheels to
match the steering wheel position. If the steering
wheel is 'centered' to the left, then the wheels must
be adjusted to turn to the left to match the steering
wheel. Therefore, as was stated, the drag link must
be shortened to pull the wheels to the left.

It's a trial and error method to get it perfect. My OCD
forces me to drive it and tweak the adjustment until
I get it perfectly centered...:D:D

Back