• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep was broken into, repair driver side lock

Magus2727

NAXJA Forum User
Below are the pictures of the damage done by some idiot who stole a $30 radio and a kids car seat from my jeep. I have ordered a replacement key lock and will have the dealer key it to my current key so I dont have a different key for each door. Question is, can this be easily repaired and fixed? the metal is bent and I believe I can straighten it out. Anything I need to watch out for, make sure also did not brake, or hints on repairing?

Thanks.

Yep, that is an easy fix. Straighten the metal, put in the new lock cylinder, slide the lock clip over the back side, and hook up the linkage. I had to do the same on my Wrangler's passenger door for the same reason. Pliers or a screwdriver wrapped in a towel can minimize the paint damage when fixing the metal.

was a rather straight forward procedure. hardest part was getting your hands in the places you needed them.

it looks like there was what appeared to be a gasket so I used black RTV around it and secured it up with some dabs of JB weld on the inside of the door to the clip and to teh door it self.

Thanks for the help.

Back