• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My bumper and tire carrier build.

xpedition xj-eh!

NAXJA Forum User
So here goes, my first "build" post of any kind. I've been reading this forum vigorously and hacking away on my XJ for quite some time now. There isn't anything radically different about my bumper or carrier but I thought I'd share what I've done and how I went about it because after all, my work is the combination of ideas from other peoples threads. I'm no tradesmen but after working days as a computer programmer, I feel the need to work with my hands. I work on this thing after my wife and three kids have gone to bed. My budget is pretty limited so when I started my Jeep project, I figured I could either buy a handful of things, or buy a welder and try my luck at building all the stuff I wanted. I choose the later, which has taken longer but I've learned a ton in the process and am having a blast doing it. So with that intro out of the way here is my bumper.

1) Do the typical cutting to allow the bumper mounts to be inserted into the frame rail
20130427142335-d856d215-me.jpg

2) Cut up some 2x4 steel to fabricate the bumper mounts. I have a gas tank skid that needs to use the furthest hole.
20130427142338-5dcb459a-me.jpg

3) Gather some "stuff" like 2x5 steel and a 1" bolt and oilite bushings for the swing out carrier hinge
20130427142346-47c1c12e-me.jpg

4) Make the 2x5 roughly follow the curve of the tailgate by cutting slits in the back, bending the ends and then weld it to the mounts
20130428120623-87ace6b7-me.jpg

20130428120559-06b5dadf-me.jpg

...Ok, here is where my build report falls apart. I was shooting photos throughout the build but for a large part of it I didn't realize that my memory card wasn't in the camera!!

5) Make a swingout tire carrier that conforms to the contour of the bumper out of 2x2. Add a small gusset and some angle iron with rossettes near the hinge just for good measure. Here you see it painted in a white base coat of appliance epoxy enamel paint. Final color will be black.
20130609092022-963dc3aa-me.jpg

20130609092014-4c44cb1c-me.jpg

... here is where I jump ahead a bit due to lack of intermediate photos

6) Angle up the ends of the 2x5 and box them in. Add some 1.5x2 steel to go under the folded rockers. Create some "hats" to go under the tail lights. Hack apart a trailer hitch from a Ford Windstar and use the receiver to mount in bumper. Add gussets on back side of bumper to add strength to receiver. Add some bits and bobs to mount the tire carrier. Now, paint it all in a base coat of epoxy enamel appliance paint (tough stuff, and cheap). In the future, I may add some supports for the 1.5x2 to the frame rail under the rocker.
20130609092017-54d48243-me.jpg

20130609092019-c8e174e6-me.jpg

(see next post due to picture limit...)

7) Sand down the epoxy enamel to a smooth finish (the brush left strokes). Then paint it in Krylon satin black and loosely assemble for that satisfying feeling. In some of the photos below, you'll see what I did at the swing-end of the carrier. I used a large bolt with t-handle in conjunction with a locked pin for extra insurance. I chose that route vs a latch because the intended purpose of this Jeep is trail rides, not errands. I'm pleased with how it turned out and in fact it takes only a few seconds to get the swingout open. I can un-wind the t-handle by spinning it with one finger. I shouldn't have to worry about rattles or accidental un-latching.

20130609180658-0bd76330-me.jpg

20130609180659-5e1f8b60-me.jpg

20130609180701-467722f9-me.jpg

20130609180702-a3c2c079-me.jpg

20130609180706-8cbb597c-me.jpg

20130609180707-cd42a548-me.jpg

20130609212319-248f81e2-me.jpg

20130609212323-3ce89f23-me.jpg

20130609212324-109532be-me.jpg

20130609212325-28e01620-me.jpg

And there she be. The fact that it turned out how I had hoped it would in my mind is rewarding. I'm guessing I have about 15 to 20 hours into the bumper (spread out over many nights). I'll dedicate one more night to cleaning up the garage! Hopefully I'll be able to trail test this sucker in the comming months.
More of my build: http://i4s.ca/xj-eh
More random photos: http://i4s.ca/photo/index.php?/category/7

Thanks for checking it out!

Last edited:
Looks really good man, nice job! Just for strengths sake, I'd run some tube from the very end of the bumper near the rear tire opening back to bolt on to the frame rail somehow. Seems to me that if you slide off a rock and land right on the end of the bumper, there is no support and it'll slam up into the body and maybe bend your mounts.

Looks great man. I would suddest raising the tire mount or making it adjustable maybe. Speaking if sliding off something and landing on the tire sitting that low. Other than that great job.

Thanks favaguitars. So far I'm just an armchair wheeler so I accept any and all criticism. The rationale behind the low tire height was:
a) The trails around here are more mud then rocks.
b) I plan to use this for more "expedition" style driving rather than king of the hammers.
c) I wanted to keep the center of gravity low and maximize visibility.

My concern is more to do with the receiver mounted winch that I plan to use. So far, it looks like I'd have to remove my tire to put the winch on... that's kinda lame but then again, I have no idea how often I'd run into that situation.

One thing I'm learning is that I don't have the trail experience to know for sure if what I'm building will be suited to how I drive it. In the mean time, I'll run it at that height and see if it works for me. To date, the XJ pictured below is my favourite and it resembles what I'm going for (not exactly, but the intended purpose is similar):

IMG_7859.JPG

IMG_8200.JPG

The first "big" trip I do with it will be the WABDR (washington backcountry discovery route). It's a 5 day expedition for which my XJ should be over-kill?

Last edited:
Looks great! I built my rear brackets(and bumper too) similar to this. I didn't do the carrier though. No advice to give other than keep up the good work!

If all you do is mud and expodition than that will do just fine. I run mine up high just pokes up above the roof line. Crok4x4 rear bumper. I'm used to the visibility now so it's not an issue. I drive a panel van for work and there is no rear view.
I picked up a good tip from ericsxj a few weeks ago. Only run about 8psi in the spare. That why if to do happen to drop it on something it will absorb some of the blow. Less chance of bending or tearing the mount.

That is on my list as well. I'll be doing a York on the driver side. Cant affotd to not have ac. But for now I picked up a 12v mini from Home Depot for 30 bucks. It works.

Just want to give props to to zetechfab.com. I bought my front bumper mounts and rear tire plate from them. If you live in Canada, you know how hard it can be to find speciality stuff like that (or you can order from the US and get royally dinged with shipping). They were easy to deal with, the prices were very reasonable, and they arrived in good time.

20130430190908-68746fc0-me.jpg

Back