• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing a Libby Sky Slider roof in an XJ

I have been waiting for someone to try this! I knew it would only be a matter of time after those Liberties had some time to age before someone would snag the rag top from one and put it on an XJ! Will definitely be keeping up with the progress! Post a video when you get done of it in operation!

cant see the pics x10

Like the cross tubes. Have you hoses it down to look for leaks?

I've been waiting to see a Libby ragtop on an XJ. Couple questions. How much did the top run you? What did you cut the roof out with? Is it powered? How does it latch closed? How does it do down the road at hwy speeds?

I would like to look at your slider but Expedition Portal requires joining.
Try hosting your photos on Flickr or some other photos site that is accessible by non-members.

X whatever on the pics. interested but dont care if i cant see anything.

what year liberty did you snag it off of? at the dealer we get lots of KK liberies coming in with all sorts of problems with the rag top. hopefully yours lasts a while but they dont seem to last long in the liberty. had a guy bring his in the day after he bought it. the top would no longer close itself. ended up having to replace the whole thing. yes it was brand new.

i think its a cool idea though, i've always wished i could take the top off an XJ and i think this is the closest you'll get

So, I'm trying to get some pix up here but I'm failing and don't have time for it now. You just have to login on Expo to see em.

I got the top out of a 2009 I think. It was from a pick and pull, found on car-parts.com for 700. I saw them listed on there for 700-1000, listed in the roof section. I know there were several issues in Libby's with the controller. Luckily it is easy to bypass that. There are easy access power/grnd wires for the motors that I'm hooked directly too with some rocker switches. I ripped out the factory controller. So far it is functioning fine in tests.

As far as water leaks, we'll see. I pretty much assume it will. Fortunately my firewall already leaks and I have plenty of drain holes (rust) in the floor.

OK, I think I got it, works in preview at least...

Roof cut
attachment.php

attachment.php

Installed
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

New 2x6 sills
attachment.php

attachment.php

A/C to OBA conversion
attachment.php

attachment.php

Like the cross tubes. Have you hoses it down to look for leaks?

I've been waiting to see a Libby ragtop on an XJ. Couple questions. How much did the top run you? What did you cut the roof out with? Is it powered? How does it latch closed? How does it do down the road at hwy speeds?

Thanks! The x-braces are my one addition so far to put some structure back in. Well that and considerably beefing of the sills. I'm eventually adding some exterior tube work. Cross fingers I don't twist it all up before then. No real water test yet either but inspection did show at least one spot in the back where the urethane has a gap. Gotta touch that up.

The top was 700 from a salvage yard and lucky me they had it pulled and ready to go. I cut my roof with an air recip. body saw...pretty easy. I measured and marked the cut and 5mm bolt holes a zillion times and some bolt holes (there's 14) were still off. Some ovaling with dremel took care of it. Put on a heavy bead of the windshield urethane (I got away with 1 tube barely) and hoist it up then bolt it down.

Top is powered by 2 motors frt/rr. It can go full forward-rearward or anywhere in between. Just have to rig switches to the wires of the motors. There is no latch, you just run it till it stops. I still haven't driven it yet, I'll let ya know.

Top is powered by 2 motors frt/rr. It can go full forward-rearward or anywhere in between. Just have to rig switches to the wires of the motors. There is no latch, you just run it till it stops. I still haven't driven it yet, I'll let ya know.

Do you have the motors switched with relays?

This stupid pic posting, I hate it. OK you vultures, I'm on the fliky now. You can see them here....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97610824@N08/

Yes, I know they don't show on the page. Best I can do with 1 minute of training.

I'm not using relays for control, it only draws 2-4 amps. I put it on a 10 amp circuit with SPDT carling switches. I also put 5 amp bussman circuit breakers on them for an over travel 'clutch'.

Well aware of the sliding ragtops shop. I found the libby top to be cheaper, motorized, bigger and has OEM features like a nice headliner and popup wind deflector. Best I could tell from net research, it was the better choice.

Still buttoning up the interior. I'll get some pics soon of the switch gear....posted somewhere on the interweb.

Ummmm, I think it's quite obvious I'm totally incapable of posting pix here. Your options are; 1) Make a login at one of the other sites to see em. 2) Come over to my place and post them for me. 3) Convince mods to enable hosting pix w/o paying up. Thanks for your interest. In other news I'm going full bore this wknd to get this heep on the road. I need to go camping.

Back