• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 AW4 VSS Output???

Aggie_Cobra

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know what the vehicle speed sensor on my 2WD XJ puts out. I know it is a 0-5V square wave, but I have no idea how many pulses per revolution. Planning an engine swap and I want to keep feeding the Jeep PCM the correct vehicle speed so that it can run the gauges.

Thanks for the help!

8 pulses per revolution.

Thanks!

Do you know when Jeep changed this? Doing some research tonight and it looks like around 95 it was 3 pulses per rev which gives 8000 pulses per mile. 8 pulses per rev gives something like 21,333 pulses per mile.

I just want to be sure because I'm sending my PCM off to be programmed and need to get it right the first time.

Whatever you read that said 95 was 3 pulses per rev was wrong, it's been 8 pulses per rev since 91.

VSSes over the years:
84-86 ???? here there be dragons, carbs, e-carbs, and confusion. Talk to ecomike. I'm not sure if these ever had vehicle speed sensors, if they did, it was only for cruise control I'm sure.
87-90 8 pulses per revolution VR/coil pickup. Only installed/used when vehicle is equipped with cruise control, otherwise not present. Installed under the dash about 6" behind the instrument panel.
91-93 8 pulses per revolution reed switch. You can tell these because they are metal and have a nut that holds them to the same exact adapter the speedo cable on older jeeps connected to, and have two pins.
94-01 8 pulses per revolution hall effect. 3 pin. They are plastic. Feed it logic power (5, 8, or 12 volts depending on the exact vehicle in question) and you get back a bunch of 0-whatever (5, 8, or 12) volt pulses. There are a few different connectors in this year range but they are all electrically equivalent AFAIK.

It *is* 8000 pulses per mile, because the speedo gears were designed for 1000 revs per mile drive to standardized speedometers back in the day. So I think the 3 pulse/rev info is just a typo because they have the 8000 part right. Then they simply retrofitted an 8 pulse per rev sensors onto the same exact pickup/speedo drive gear assembly for the newer ECU, and then a few years later went to a better design but kept the 8000/mile standard because there was no real reason to change it.

OK, I'll go with 8000 PPM and we'll see. I'm planning a 5.3 swap and want to program the output of the GM PCM to feed the Jeep PCM so that the stock speedo works.

I think that should work, but your CEL is definitely going to be on. The Jeep ECU is not going to be happy at all about not being in charge of an engine anymore.

Hopefully you can unwire the CEL from the instrument panel PCB and (if you care) wire it into the GM ECU without too much hackery.

I think that should work, but your CEL is definitely going to be on. The Jeep ECU is not going to be happy at all about not being in charge of an engine anymore.

Hopefully you can unwire the CEL from the instrument panel PCB and (if you care) wire it into the GM ECU without too much hackery.

Yep, my plan is to have the GM PCM control the MIL by wiring lines directly to the bulb.

Back