• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power steering pump

OverlandZJ

NAXJA Member # 101
Just swapped in a reman'd steering box and ZJ steering onto a locals 97 XJ.

The reservoir is marked reman, and the high pressure line looks newer. I swapped in a new return line and added the inline filter (99% I installed in correct direction) filled the reservoir and turned the wheel lock to lock. At shutdown I had just a tad of pump squeal but power assist was working.

Two days later after working on other issues I went to pull it out of the driveway and I have no power assist, fluid level is correct at cold. It looks as though I have no movement of the fluid...

I should see fluid movement inside the reservoir correct? Would a pump just up and quit like that? I did not run it dry, filled the res before starting and kept it topped off.

The pump is quiet, no squeal whatsoever.. but I guess it would be if it took a dump right? Guess i'm looking for verification I need to swap in a new pump..

At least a dozen times lock-lock. Got about 1.5quart of fluid in.

Pouring here today, i'll dig into it more tomorrow.

This is the filter I installed: http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-13797-82602.aspx

Anyone else install this and remember which way the circular end goes? I had it installed with open circular end towards steering box, and forked end towards steering pump reservoir. I'm 99% this is correct as directed on packaging but can not confirm since I tossed the card it was attached to.

Return hose is otherwise clear..

Back