• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reinstall dana 30 axles???

choochooken

NAXJA Forum User
Help! I have a 94 XJ, 4.0L with a Dana 30 front diff. I am replacing the front axle seals and looking for a tip on how to reinstall the axles without knocking/tearing the seals back out. I recently replaced the U-joint in the right axle and after I put it back together is when the leak started. So now I am really gun-shy. I don't want to go through all this work and have that happen again. Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Be really careful, and put a little grease on the shafts before putting them in

Very carefully, keep it straight as possible.

Ok, thanks. I thought I was being careful the 1st time but now I will be even more so. Maybe I just went too fast or pushed too hard. OK thanks again, we'll get-r-done.

Before you reinstall the carrier, dip your finger in the gear oil you drained, and run it around that seal. That will help the shaft smoothly slide in without tearing the seal.

Thanks for the helpful tips. I got the thing apart and it doesn't appear that the seal was torn up. I guess it may have just been oil that was in the tube from pulling tthe axle out? In any case I have the new seals so I am going to install them. Again thanks for the advise.

Back