• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle Questions

01yellowxj

NAXJA Forum User
OK guys, have a question about axles.

I have a Stock 2000 XJ Front D30 with 3:55 gears

I picked up a 1997 XJ Front D30 with 4:10 gears that has a rusted housing.

Is there any thing im over looking to to use my housing out of my 2000 XJ?
I assume the axle shafts are the same 27 tooth spline and use the same brakes and rotors.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
And yes, I am swapping the rear over to 4:10's as well

Is the 2000 a low pinion and 1997 a high pinion diff?

Re: Re: Axle Questions

Is the 2000 a low pinion and 1997 a high pinion diff?

This is a true statement.

I don't believe you will be able to swap the gears over since they are a reverse cut and use a different carrier. 97-99 should all be HPs while the 00-01 are all LPs.

You should be able to use the shafts though no problem as long as they are the same spline count.

Thanks for the input. I was not even thinking about the LP vs HP. Good thing I tossed this question up on here.

SO looks like some bead blasting will have to come into play.

Re: Re: Axle Questions

This is a true statement.

I don't believe you will be able to swap the gears over since they are a reverse cut and use a different carrier. 97-99 should all be HPs while the 00-01 are all LPs.

You should be able to use the shafts though no problem as long as they are the same spline count.

The carriers on LP and HP are interchangeable, for what its worth.

The carriers on LP and HP are interchangeable, for what its worth.

This ^^.
And really, if the rust is just superficial clean it up and run the HPTurdy. No need to put money into the LP. Buy the gear cut is different LP vs HP.

Back