• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Motor reving high on own, foot on brake , in neutral or park.

FleXJ96

NAXJA Forum User
We have had a lot of rain lately in Florida, and gigantic puddle snuck up on me on the road. Ended up going through like 10-12" of water at 25-30mph. Nothing I haven't done off road but the jeep hated it. My check engine was already on and it started flashing and I lost throttle response for a few. The next day I go to back out of drive way and almost run over the cat as it was acting like I had my foot on the gas and brake pedal. Took for a test drive around block and it was accelerating without any pedals pressed, threw in N and RPMs went up. stopped put in park and RPMs went even higher. Shut it down and it was fine. I am assuming my newly replaced TPS got wet? Anyone else experience a similar issue? thanks

Check your accelerator pedal, throttle cable, return spring and all linkage. Lubricate the cable and clean throttle body. Do you have cruise control?

Check for a vacuum leak. You may have cracked the vacuum bottle behind the front bumper.

I take it from your user name that you have a 96? May make the CEL go on, but try disco the 3-wire plug from the TPS and see if it still does it.

Back