• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

electric problems

soilman

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2001 XJ and the Battery keeps going dead. I replaced the battery less than one month ago. It died twice this week. When I got the new battery they checked the alternator and it said it was ok, but I am thinking this is the problem. When I jumped it using the powerpack battery earlier this week, the alternator was making a slight wirrrrrring sound. Today the jump battery will get it to crank, but it won't start. Also, when the battery died I was driving a long trip about 2000 miles and on the last 200 miles or so the check gauges light came on and the amp guage went to 0 I barely made it to Fargo Oreillys when it died thats when I got the new battery. The check gauge light came on one more time on the way home from Fargo, but never came on any more and gauges all seemed to work. Also, the radio has been dieing on me for a bit it will work one day then not for a while then work again. Same way with the dash lights but I think that is the head light switch as when I mess with it the lights usually come back on. I don't think it's the CSP sensor but maybe it could be that.

Been along time since I logged onto the Old NAXJA since I have been Jeepless from 2004 to just this last fall. But got me a XJ again for my wife to enjoy until someday I can make it into a toy.

Please give me input.

Thanks
Jeff

Well I finally got it started after letting the batter jumper on for a few minutes. I took it to carquest they said it was a poorly charging alternator. They didn't have an alternator so I took it to O'Reilly's. They checked it and it said bad battery, and alternator was charging about 13.9-14.2 low but ok. Also, I noticed that the terminal was very corroded and bare wires on the cable. So I replaced the terminal, and got a new battery, which was only one month old. Free replacement. They checked it and it says battery good, Alternator Good charging at 15 or so and the Radio started working again after replacing the battery and terminal. So, I guess that was the problem.

Couple of things on the late model XJs--there is a battery temp sensor located under the batter and they tend to go bad, and the PCM thinks the battery is overheating and it won't allow the alternator to charge.

Another thing is for those alternators controlled by the PCM, A LOT OF THE CHAIN STORE TESTER machines WON'T test the PCM-controlled alternators correctly--they will report "good" when they are BAD.

Glad you got yours sorted out.

Back