• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front end lift questions

Nacho-1990

NAXJA Forum User
So I picked up my first XJ a few weeks ago, and it came with a 3 inch lift. Upon further inspection it appears that all that was done (as far as the front) was to add spacers and a longer pitman arm, but the sway bar links and control arms appear stock. From what I have found on the internet you really do not need to replace the control arms unless you are going over 3", but my upper control arm bushings seem to be shot, and the bolts no longer look centered. Should I replace the upper arms with adjustable control arms or just replace the bushings? I assume the bushings need to be pressed in with an arbor press? Also shouldn't the sway bar links have been replaced with something longer? These appear to be kinda short. On the other hand it seems to drive fine.

If your a mall crawler replace the factory bushings. If you actually plan on using your jeep replace all the arms with adjustables. You will thank yourself later. Ask me how I know.

If you plan to stay @ 3", you could also go fixed aftermarket LCAs; look for 16" - 16 1/4" eye to eye..

Yeah, I'm actually thinking of taking it down to 2". As it is I have 3" in the front and 1.5" in the back. The guy I bought it from was a kid who was in the process of "fixing it up" and realized he couldn't afford to fix it up and drive it at the same time;)

I volunteer with the Forest Service and plan on using the Jeep to drive fire roads, etc. and also use on hunting trips, no real rock crawling or anything like that, but I want it to perform off highway, I don't need to have massive articulation, I just don't want to get stuck in the mud / snow.

For sub 3.5" lift I would recommend aftermarket fixed lowers and adj. uppers. Unless you can afford both adj.
Kind of moot point since you have to pull the coils to remove the spacers, but for ease of install/future mods. There is a member over at CF that makes 2-piece steel spacers that bolt together. So you only have to compress/drop the coil/isolator enough to get it on the tower. Something to think about.

Is the back blocks, shackles and/or AAL?

Back