• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front brakes draging

blenny

RRC President
First the essentials
WJ booster
WJ master cylinder
ZJ proportion valve
WJ front brake akebono calipers
Crown Vic rear discs
Brakes have been set up for about 1000 miles and the problem just started
Rear brakes release normally when brakes are released
Front brakes hang up to the point I cannot turn the wheels by hand, of I put a breaker bar I can turn them.
I know I need to replace the booster soon as it has a whistle when brakes (damn junk yard parts) are not depressed. I tried unscrewing a bleeder to see if that would release pressure, but nothing. I removed a caliper and compressed it with a c-clamp, reinstalled. After depressing the brake I found it was dragging again. So I believe it is the proportion valve not allowing back flow. My search yielded a few questions, but no answers.
Thanks

Maybe calipers are sticking?

Caliper pistons can stick in the bores such that hydraulic pressure will move them but even without hydraulic pressure behind, seals won't retract the piston.
Used calipers?

Thinking on it this morning it seems if it was the mc bioster or prop valve unscrewing the bleeder I should have seen fluid come out and the pressure decrease

Yeah, if it was a problem with fluid pressure not releasing when you were off the pedal the problem would go away when you crack the bleeder (assuming the bleeder isn't also plugged. Are you sure it isn't?)
I'd say you have caliper problems or possibly caliper slide pin problems.
Take the caliper off the bracket, remove the pins & inspect. You want them nice & greased. Don't need gobs of it, but you definitely need free & easy motion there. If they are dry and or dirty they can cause problems.
If it isn't them, your bleed screws are clear & opening them doesn't help anything - you've got some cores on your hands & a weekend trip to the parts house in your future.

Back