• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question about warranties for parts purchased online?

teejmiller

NAXJA Forum User
I just threw a set of National Brand (Advance renames it as their own) Wheel bearings in my cherokee. The right side crapped out in a week. I thought about swapping them out for Moogs, but recently learned everything they make is crap.

I decided to get a set of timkens and can get them online from RockAuto for $65 each side, dirt cheap, and live a happy life with a 3 year warranty vs one.

My only question is, how the hell do you swap a warranty bearing if I need to from a product I bought from RockAuto? Would I send it back to Timken or the rockauto supplier who may not exist in 2 months?

Any info is appreciated.

I wasn't questioning the stability of RockAuto, i've been a happy customer for years! There is some grey area when it comes to manufacturers, warranties, and online purchases (Seen mostly on Amazon). RockAuto doesn't necessarily stock all their products -- most are drop shipped from small suppliers and wholesalers.

But, that link gave me the information I need -- Thanks!

Yea, i have to say, for an online company, I've had pretty good customer service from rockauto. I ordered a set of brake calipers once that were all supposed to be plated, but one came with no plating. I contacted them and they made sure the warehouse checked the replacement part before sending it out.

Warranty process aside, did you torque the axle nut to spec? I have never had one go bad that fast before.

Yep, both torqued to 175, rechecked also. It's my fault for buying Advance branded parts, just ordered a set of Timkens from RockAuto. Drivers side is smooth as butter, passenger side failed within 24 hours without even going offroad yet. Some of the reviews on the website have a similar scenario, same outcome.

Lesson learned. Thanks for the advice :]

Excellent, just figured I'd mention it. A lot of people don't torque em properly.

I guess you should expect the driver side to blow up soon too... oh well.

It took years of abuse to kill a set of timkens in my experience. Got em from rockauto in early 2010, they lasted till late 2012 or so before they started grinding, and I really wasn't nice to them at all.

I got the wrong starter from Rockauto once (their fault, not mine). IIRC they swapped it out, and paid the freight, but I had to pay for the replacement first, and then got full credit for the return when they received it.

Freight is problem with Rock on heavy stuff.

Just a thought you may want to check out. The last hub I put on (Moog) refused to turn by hand after I torqued it down, it took significant force with mechnical leverage to get it to turn.. My best guess is the bearings weren't seated (pressed in) all the way. And when I torqued it down, I got a heavy side load on the bearings.

My solution was to torque it to 180, back it off and re-torque to 170. I could then turn the hub by hand, with the studs.

It has been my experience that tight bearings burn up quick.

One criteria for picking my parts supplier is the return policy. The one I have now just wants a picture (photograph), then sends me a replacement and doesn't even bother with the return.

My solution was to torque it to 180, back it off and re-torque to 170. I could then turn the hub by hand, with the studs.

That's a good idea, will only take an extra minute to do, and will keep my wrenching OCD happy!

How have your Moogs held up? Curious, because I'm still up in the air between the two (local Advance has them for a few bucks vs Timken, and I can walk in there and get another within 3 years if need be.)

just a FYI AutoZone has Timken hubs, and has a 3 year warranty.

Back