• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spartan locker not working correctly?

amorth

NAXJA Forum User
OK, so I just completed my Spartan locker install on my Dana 30 and I need to get some opinions on my final product. I first installed the gears in my carrier with the thrust washers, but when I went to install the pinion shaft it wouldn't fit because the spacers we're sticking out to far out.
I did a quick Google search and read a few sites that said that the thrust washers aren't used with the Spartan, so I took it all apart and removed the thrust washers and the pinion shaft slide right in without any problems. Awesome! Fast forward to the end after everything is reinstalled- I performed the test of spinning one wheel to verify everything is working. If I spin either wheel slowly, the other spins with it, but if I spin it fast the other wheel just sits other and I hear the gears clicking.
Now at this point I do not have any gear fluid in the diff. Will the fluid make it so the tires spin in unison at any speed or am I going to have to go back in there and install the thrust washers? If I have to do that is there a trick to get the pinion shaft in?

Thanks!

Mine does the same thing on the hoist. Spin it slowly and the both spin. Spin it fast and the other side does not turn and goes clickee clickee. First time i did that it was, what is going on?

Sounds right to me.

NO Thrust Washers with the Spartan though...

Ok - so it's normal to have the wheels spin in unison at a very slow speed but when I spin one wheel fast the opposite wheel is supposed to just sit there and I hear the gears clicking?

yes. Its a locker, not a spool..

Awesome - thanks! I'll fill it with gear oil soon before I drive it. I was worried I installed it incorrectly and had to go back in.

:party:

HA - that's something I didn't do. I just found this on the instructions:

• Check installation by putting the vehicle in gear and in 4wd if installing in a front application.
  • Rotate one tire forcefully until it stops against the drivetrain. This must be done in both directions on each side.
  • Have a second person rotate the opposite tire in the opposite direction, It should unlock and spin
  • Your Spartan locker should make a clicking sound as the teeth move over each other. If this sound is not present, or you cannot get the teeth to disengage at all, check your work
I didn't put in in 4wd while on jack stands - I just spun the wheels and noticed what I did. Thanks for bringing this up.

On an auto locker you can spin the wheels by hand, and it will unlock. This is how it's supposed to work. If you think about it it makes sense. The faster wheel unlocks (one your spinning) it. When you go around a corner the same thing faster wheel unlocks it. If you look closely at the channel the pin goes through you would notice it's not tight to the pin as the sides come up, but more kind of beveled. What this does is when the pin is driven (when you step on the gas and apply force with through the carrier) it "ramps" up the beveled sides an causes the floating geared half's into the geared half's on the the shafts locking them all together.

Back