• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Done with RENIX POS

senorpistolero

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I'm done with this whole Renix system. Tired of sensors not sensing, plugs not pluging, computers not computing, blah, blah, blah.
I have a Clifford manifold, Holley 350 CFM carb, DUI distributor, and the skills to convert my '87 Cherokee to manual systems that I can repair and work on, even in the sticks.
The only thing I'm unsure of, what is going to control the transmission? Does anybody have ideas of what I can do to make the trans function properly with the CPU gone?
Thakns.

Hey.., I am first up to ask: May I please have all of your RENIX parts? RENIX is rare up here in Alaska. Send me a PM. Thanks.

Your jeep is old man. It probably just needs some tlc. Once I got through and changed all my sensors and vacuum line out I have had 0 problems. Believe me I had a hard time and wanted to burn my jeep down too. With help here I got through it and am happy now. There's only a few sensors to replace. I bought all mine from rock auto and the vacuum harnesses as well. I didnt cost all that much and it was all fairly easy. It's just time and patience to get all the kinks worked out. Remember your working on a vehicle that is over 20 years old.

YEP!! I here ya there.I bought a 1996 2wd Auto XJ to replace my 88 renix 8" lifted nv3550 5spd 35" tires.Which got everything top notch...including the 4.6 stroker I installed 8k ago.Swapping motors and selling it...Yeah there IS a reason Renault was pulled from the US market...:doh:

I have heard nothing but bad things about that versa, especially with the CVT.

Putting a carb on a 4.0 jeep is a pretty terrible idea, I recommend a 350/th350 swap.

Your jeep is old man. It probably just needs some tlc. Once I got through and changed all my sensors and vacuum line out I have had 0 problems. Believe me I had a hard time and wanted to burn my jeep down too. With help here I got through it and am happy now. There's only a few sensors to replace. I bought all mine from rock auto and the vacuum harnesses as well. I didnt cost all that much and it was all fairly easy. It's just time and patience to get all the kinks worked out. Remember your working on a vehicle that is over 20 years old.

I had to put 3 ECU's in mine till I finally I found one that works.

Let him do what he wants, I'm genuinely interested in how it works out.

A ton of responses and no answer to the guys question? And it's so simple? The aw4 is controlled by its own computer in the renix era jeeps. Leave it alone. Or pull it out and run a rad rail shifter. I wouldn't go to the trouble to put a carb on a 4.0, but doing so wouldn't be difficult.

A ton of responses and no answer to the guys question? And it's so simple? The aw4 is controlled by its own computer in the renix era jeeps. Leave it alone. Or pull it out and run a rad rail shifter. I wouldn't go to the trouble to put a carb on a 4.0, but doing so wouldn't be difficult.
hope you have some good ideas on how to put a TPS on a carb (what I'm saying is run a manual shifter.)

Thanks Zachandandy
Maybe further explanation is warrented.
For me, getting completly rid of the Renix fuel injection and ignition sytem makes total sense. I have a low mile, excellent condition Cherokee Loredo that is my wifes favorite vehicle she has ever had. However, in four years, this thing has left me stranded 7 times, always some stupid sensor or plug that has failed. Being pre OBD, I can't just scan it and fix it, it's always a weeks worth of trouble shooting, or throwing parts at it until I accidently fix it.
My location does not hamper me with emmisiom laws, so I can do what I want with it. I want SIMPLE. I drive in Mexico often, where being stranded could be real trouble (life and death). There is nothing in or on a carb that I can't fix when the chips are down. This is not a rock crawler, mild wheeing only, so angles are not an issue. And, a properly set up and tuned carb WILL perform.
So, the trans has a stand alone computer? Good. What inputs do I need to provide that trans computer with for proper operation? Throttle position? I can do that. What else am I missing?

Throttle position, brake light switch, ignition power, output speed sensor and neutral safety switch. Don't chop up any of the wiring that runs those and the TCU will be happy. The TPS may be annoying to put on the carb.

You will need a low pressure fuel pump or something since there's no easy way to put a mechanical fuel pump on a 4.0. On a 4.2 there's a spot for it and everything.

Honestly, you can get old snap-on scanners and appropriate adapters that will allow you to debug RENIX quite nicely with a plug-in, but I can see where you are coming from needing to go to lawless areas of mexico frequently.

Thanks Kastein, that answers my questions. Most of it is a no brainer, including the fuel pump, except the TPS. And even that shouldn't be very hard to figure out. I'll make up what ever brackets I need to mount it externnaly to the carb. I can do that on the bench where it's easy to get to.
As to possible swaps, I would consider a 4.3 GM TBI, but a 350/350 would be silly, because everyhing else in the drive train would grenade in short order.

How about a Howell tbi setup for a 4.2?

Why not get a donor and swap over to OBD2?

Rather than adapt a tps to the carb, just by the rad designs rail shifter and ditch all computer control? 1 less potential electrical problem.

you should talk to our resident renix experts Ecomike and cruiser54 about your renix issues before throwing in the towel. and if you still want to dump it just sell the jeep and buy a HO XJ. whatever you do just dont throw a carb on there.

That's what I was wondering, but he's got a hate deal going on with Renix for some reason.

Back