• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1989 MJ CPS replacement

Gunter

NAXJA Forum User
for the new folks, this is not as hard as it seems.
you can barely see one bolt head from the bottom. i did mine today and i want to add a few suggestions--
the clutch hydraulic lines are in the way, you can gently bend them a little bit for clearance.
you should be on your back with right shoulder about under the yoke on the front drive shaft. and and left so you can reach up with extensions for the bolt on the driver's side of teh transmission.
if you put your right hand straight up by the yoke, you can get your fingers on the CPS bolt heads. 11mm bolts
left hand --
then use your extension of 12 inches?? to get the socket in place and right hand to guide the socket onto the bolts.a wobbly extension works for me. not the u joint kind.
there is room on the side of the transmission for you to loosen and tighten the CPS with a ratchet. you wont need 4 feet of extensions LOL.

my CPS had a LONG set of wires and the new one had a short set of wires. the shortie has a coil in it's wires and they kept popping the CPS up out of place.

other than as noted, this went relativley easy and fast.

good luck !

hasta

If You Take A Ujoint Extension And Wrap It In Electrical Tape, It Works Great. Also I Found That It Was Easier To Have Someone Hold The Cps From The Engine Bay While I Put The Bolts in

I use a ratchet wrench with a flex head and break the bolts loose from the engine compartment side, then just spin them out by hand.

Back