• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Battery relocate to rear write-up

bwfdrums

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I decided I wanted to free up some space under the hood and run a bigger battery so I decided to relocate, this turned out to be more expensive and some what of a hassle from time to time. I went with 2 gauge wire.

First the parts you need.
Battery relocate kit
15' of pos wire
15' of neg wire
3 ft' of neg wire
6 or more butt connectors
Solder, soldering iron
Heat shrink wrap
Kill switch (if preferred)
And all sorts of odds and ends

First you want to pick a good spot for the battery box and where your j hooks can safely go through floor without hitting tank.
SAM_0232.jpg

Install j hooks and make sure battery and box is secure
SAM_0182.jpg

Then decide where and how you will run the 2 wires from rear to the front. I went through the rear passenger side wall and then under plastic trim on floor and then through the fire wall. One hole that I used through the fire wall was the rear washer sprayer line, didn't use it so I pulled that stuff out and put in a grommet. I then drilled a similar size hole next to and added a grommet. You must have these grommets so the lines do not get frayed or cut!
SAM_0207.jpg

I then pushed the lines through, a friend is helpful in this process, while one person pushed the other pulls, soap helps.
SAM_0209.jpg

I then also ran a second ground, from the battery to my wall.
SAM_0226.jpg

Make sure you have the right amount of lines where you want them before you cut and add butt connectors, move the lines around and decide where you want them to ground and junction. For the negative line I had just put them all on a bolt on the inside fender.
SAM_0220.jpg

For the positive lines, I got a terminal block from Jegs for $13.
SAM_0210.jpg

Decide where you want to mount, again test fit everything before cutting.
SAM_0217.jpg

SAM_0218.jpg

For the battery kill switch cut, splice, add butt connectors to positive lines and mount switch where ever.
SAM_0205.jpg

SAM_0204.jpg

SAM_0193.jpg

Add terminals for battery. Remember to heat shrink wrap every splice.

SAM_0212.jpg

SAM_0179.jpg

So far I love it! Especially the battery kill switch. Great for parasitic draws and the computer doesn't have to relearn every time.

Last edited:
Make sure that battery box is sealed to the interior and vented to the exterior, Lead Acid batteries off gas when charging and can be unhealthy to humans in a confined space.

Or switch to an AGM type battery.

Make sure that battery box is sealed to the interior and vented to the exterior, Lead Acid batteries off gas when charging and can be unhealthy to humans in a confined space.

Or switch to an AGM type battery.

He doesn't have windows anymore so he should be fine.

why did u run a negative cable to the frt? should be able to ground to the chassis in the rear

It doesn't run right unless you ground the block to the negative on the battery.

Back