• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone know of a good set of 4.10's or 4.11's for stock front XJ diff and 8.8 Rear?

whisky_grip

NAXJA Forum User
I've been trying to find a good set of gears for my XJ to step down from the 4.56's I have it now but cant really decide on anything. Im looking to drop tire size from 35's to 33's and stepping down gears to hopefully pick up some MPG. Tired of getting 180-195 miles a tank with the set up now. I dont know if it matters or not but I have ARB's front and rear. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

If you didn't have the arb, I'd offer an axle trade. But no cash for anything like that.
Talk to some naxja vendors, good deals to be had.

I've been trying to find a good set of gears for my XJ to step down from the 4.56's I have it now but cant really decide on anything. Im looking to drop tire size from 35's to 33's and stepping down gears to hopefully pick up some MPG. Tired of getting 180-195 miles a tank with the set up now.

I have run 33" on both 4.10 and 4.56 and did not see a decrease in mileage with the 4.56s.
33's, with 4.10 gears , are doggy. You will find your XJ downshifting any time the road heads uphill. Since you live in Colorado, you will not be pleased with this.
I suggest you save your time and money and stay with the 4.56 gears.
Built XJs, with lifts, large tires and lots of added weight will never get the mileage they did when stock. It's just wishful thinking.

I've been trying to find a good set of gears for my XJ to step down from the 4.56's I have it now but cant really decide on anything. Im looking to drop tire size from 35's to 33's and stepping down gears to hopefully pick up some MPG. Tired of getting 180-195 miles a tank with the set up now. I dont know if it matters or not but I have ARB's front and rear. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Interested in selling the 4.56's? Let me know! Thanks!!

I have run 33" on both 4.10 and 4.56 and did not see a decrease in mileage with the 4.56s.
33's, with 4.10 gears , are doggy. You will find your XJ downshifting any time the road heads uphill. Since you live in Colorado, you will not be pleased with this.
I suggest you save your time and money and stay with the 4.56 gears.
Built XJs, with lifts, large tires and lots of added weight will never get the mileage they did when stock. It's just wishful thinking.

Yea I've been thinking about that as well, my buddies taco on 35's and 4.10's gets roughly 3-4 mpg better than my XJ but it is a bit sluggish of the start and hitting the hills.
Thanks for the advice! Might just drop to 33's and see how it runs

Thanks for the advice! Might just drop to 33's and see how it runs

I switched to 4.11s, in 2006, when upgrading to 31" (we were getting ready for a trip to the Rockies). I was advise by a few knowledgeable forum members (including Cal) to to go straight to 4.56s but dumb me didn't listen.
I added a second set of wheels a couple years ago, a set of 33X10.50-15s, and was disappointed with the drop in power when using the 33"s..
Last fall, I re-geared to 4.56s and added a locker to the front, already having a TruTrac in the rear. My mileage came up a little and the surprising thing was that when running the smaller diameter 31"s, the mileage doesn't noticeably change.
The increase in acceleration was nice too. The engine is happy running a couple hundred RPMs faster.

Back