• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CFS Radiator install questions

comrad_zeelaagee

NAXJA Forum User
I'm replacing the radiator in my '00 XJ with a CFS 3 core.

Some differences I'm noticing out of the box that I have to address are:

The top of the radiator is different than the oem. Six studs protrude from the top of the CFS radiator where there's a crossmember/vibration isolator combo that was there before.
- do you ditch the oem stuff and just install the other components that mount on top?

Also, the oem configuration had two vertically oriented stabilizers for the ac condenser that don't seem to have a home of the CFS unit? Are there any worarounds or solutions for this configuration?

That's all I got for now, I'm sure there will be more tomorrow... some insight to these questions is much appreciated.

Thanks,
A

when i put the CFS radiator in my 90 i ended up cutting off the studs on the front.

I think with aftermarket radiators you basically just use your best judgement. if it has mounts/holes whatever that your OEM radiator doesn't have, don't feel obligated to use them.

I have a cfs 3 row in my 00 and when I installed mine I just transfered the 2 rubber isolation mounts from the oem to the cfs. I think it was just 2 nuts on either side of them and they pull off. They are needed as the stud on top of the isolation mounts attached to the upper radiator support. I do not remember about the other mounts you are talking about though. My condenser and everything attached normally from what I can remember. Hopefully somone else will chime in about that.

I swapped the isolators from the old rad onto the new, and the new rad had its own mounting tabs for the condenser. Everything should be mounted and connected pretty much the way it was stock, but you might have a couple of nuts and the mounting tabs left over.

i pretty much figured there would be a little modification that may be needed.

Chin- did you ditch the the oem crossmember that had the isolators attached?

See pics below...
Pics of CFS studs on top

Pic of oem sub-support cross member

pic of vertically oriented brackets/stabilizer(s) from oem install

thanks for the input!

A

Aftermarket radiators are made to fit several different years.

You need to simply swap over the upper mounts.

The new radiator design doesn't need the vertical supports.

There should be a parts bag in the box to adapt the condenser to the new radiator. Also, it really is not necessary for rigid support of the condenser at the top. I simply use zip-ties on mine.

Everything went smoothly. It was a mess, but went smoothly.

Thanks to all for the input, especially Souske, who was my on call phone support. It ended up being a pretty straight forward deal.

If anyone in the future has any questions about the install, feel free to contact me.

Andy

Back