• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1992 XJ 5 spd 4.0 Idle issues??

avocado

NAXJA Forum User
Morning everyone.... Just wanted to see if anyone has any new ideas on the issues I am continueing to have... So here is what I have changed out: TPS, CPS, o2 sensor, IAC, ignition coil, alternator, battery, fuel pump and filter, CTS, fuel hoses and radiator hose. So now it starts but won't idle. I have to keep pumping the gas to keep it running otherwise it will die?? I can't get it to run long enough to get it to a parts store to read the code. I do know that the catalytic converter needs to be replaced but I am thinking idle issue is un related?? Is ignition switch a possibility? Anything helps,

thanks, Mike(avocado)

It could be the map sensor. You could always buy one and install it and if it doesn't work then put it back in the box and return it and say that you didn't install it. I think they're close to $100.

Did you make sure that your MAP vac line is in order, maybe unplug and see if it changes.
Sometimes new sensors can be bad also. Have you tried running it with tps and iac disco?

Intake manifold temperature sensor could be bad, the wiring to the O2 sensor may be damaged, or power to the O2 sensor heater my be missing, sensor grounds may be bad, fuel pump pressure may be unstable, PLugs, wires, rotor and Cap?

Old rotor and Cap can cause this.

Is it a new to you vehicle, or was it running normally in your possession before the issue developed?

Turn key on and off three times ending in the on position to flash out a code. Look them up online. Disco means disconnect so just unplug it. Anything we tell you is only a sometimes educated guess. You need to actually get under the hood and test. Sounds like parts throwing is getting expensive. Get a good DVOM. Not a cheap Harbor Freight unit but a good high impedance unit. Look up how each sensor operates normally and test them.

Back