• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What tire do you run? (not size)

nrwphoto

NAXJA Forum User
Just curious to see what tires everyone is running on their rigs and what they think of them (good/bad). I am always seeing Q & A about sizes but rarely read what Brand/Model tire they are running.

I have been running Goodyear Silent Armors 30x9.5 for the past 3 yrs. about 41k on them and ready for the shredder. Good- They are nice and quiet and handle well on the road. Have been great in all weather conditions, never once hydroplaned and grip well on ice and snow. Steep loose gravel climbs leave a little to be wanting but other wise decent traction in the dirt. Bad - under a light weight XJ, rotated about every 10k running 32psi and they are not going to live to their 50k warranty. And I lost 1-2mpg going from a set of BFG LongTrails.

Last edited:
Weird that you have issues with the Silent Armors, most I know go at least 1.5/2x the warranty rating. What load rating are they by chance?

Currently running the MTR-k's, prior were 2 sets of Bridgestone Dueler AT 693 (one of my fav tires)
Got a killer deal on the MTR-k's, which is why I got them vs something else. Overall they still look new and have the little "nubs" of the sidewalls still.
They do ride good on road, and are great offroad. I do pretty much DD this thing, but if I did more traveling for work/other activities, I would consider something else or a 2nd set of tires on the street as to not wear them out.
Short list of tire choices/recommends:
Bridgestone Dueler REVO/2
Bridgestone Dueler 693/695
Dayton Timberline AT
Yokohama Geolander ATS
Firestone Destination AT
General Grabber Red Letter (no personal experience, but have heard great things about them)
General Grabber AT2

We run the mandated General Grabber (Red Letters) on our JeepSpeeds (2 WJ's, 1 XJ & 1 JK). But even if they were not mandated I feel like we would still run them. On my 1500 I run a Hankook MT (315/75/16) GREAT tire! 11 ply tire, low noise biggest plus is ive had them for about a year now and put about 15k on them and they're less than 1/3rd of the way worn. Bad part is I probably wont keep the truck long enough to see how long they last.

another for the mtr-k,which i run now. I would also suggest the duratracs. Great wear and rode well on ice snow etc. They also do well offroad....

another for the mtr-k,which i run now. I would also suggest the duratracs. Great wear and rode well on ice snow etc. They also do well offroad....

Ran the duratracs on my CJ into the ground when I was a teenager! Loved them so much I bought a second set. Those tires proved to me the importance of a good set of quality tires.

I love my pitbull mad dawgs. They are great on the road for such an agressive tire. Seem to be wearing very well considering my rear axle is welded. Have about 12k on them and most of that is hard trail miles. Still look nearly new.

really? I got around 55k out of my km2s didn't even rotate them.

I got 20k on my last set of km2's and sold them with well over half tread to go up to 33's.

My next set of street tires will be duratracs.

Have a buddy with the duratracs on his pathfinder. He doesn't wheel, but DDs it and got great miles out of them. Those things stuck like no other tire I've seen in the snow and ice. Christmas Day 3 years ago we got 14" of snow in Asheville. My parents live on a mountain around 2700' elevation. Out of my Cherokee, my moms 05 hemi wk, dads expedition, and my brother's Tacoma with rear locker, the pathfinder on duratracs did far better. Not even a hint of wheel slip on the ice starting from a stop on a 20% grade inside the neighborhood.

Copper STT, been on them for about 2 years without any complaints and they get me thru everything I try for the most part.

BFG AT's great all around tire. They did great on the CON last year don't dig in the sand and ride smooth on the freeway. Best thing is they do not weigh a lot compared to all other tires.

Currently I am on my 3rd set of BFG KM2s between 2 Jeeps (did some size switching). They work well at about 10-12lbs on regular (non-beadlocks) wheels in the rock we wheel in the south, decent in dirt and decent in mud. My 35s on the last Jeep had 35k or so on them and literally had about 75% tread left when I sold them. I did a 5 tire rotation, so I am sure that helped. I am selling my 33s on this Jeep right now and will be moving to MTR w/K. I have wheeled a friend's Jeep a couple time with those...and IMO they stick much better in the rock, the sidebiter on that tire was (again IMO) working better than that on my KM2s. That is my 2 cents...

Weird that you have issues with the Silent Armors, most I know go at least 1.5/2x the warranty rating. What load rating are they by chance?

They are a 5 ply C rating. This XJ started out as my DD with towing a light trailer a few times a year. But now I have a little Toyota truck for commuting and the XJ is the weekend warrior. OME lift sitting in the living room waiting to be installed and new tires shortly after that. But I live in AZ and heading to Missoula, MT for the month of Oct. so I don't want anything loud on road. Otherwise I would be grabbing some more aggressive tires.

MTR-K

Great on the street, amazing offroad. I've had em in the dry, wet, snow, dirt, mud, sand, rocks, etc. Zero complaints.

KM2s. Work good off road. Hate them on road. Noisy and have uneven wear. I have to rotate every 5-10 thousand miles depending on wear and noise.

Back