• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front end pop

DaveS98

NAXJA Forum User
This is getting annoying as hell.
It happens consistently when I go from being stopped to on the gas. I can feel the pop in the floor board. It happens quite often when going slow in a parking lot (going straight or turning, doesn't matter which). I have a steep driveway and if I let it roll back and hit the brakes it pops too.
Checked ball joints by using a pry bar on the tires..didn't see any play. The tie rod is new (zj tie rod) the drag link Tres are all tight. I pulled the front d shaft and the noise is still there, axle u joints have no play in them. Lug nuts are tight. Control arm bushings (poly) are brand new, ruff stuff heims on the x member side are tight, jam nuts are tight on the links (custom 3 link). Pulled the callipers to see if it was something in the brakes..didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

I do have a loose driver side shock.. its loose under the hood on the stud side. It's a shitty Rusty's shock and I can't tighten Or loosen it due to the excessive paint on the stud threads. Even if I grab the shock body and shake the piss out of it I don't get the same pop i hear inside.

Could the shock really be making all this popping? I guess I'm gonna have to cut it off..I'm just saving money for some bilstein 7100s so I can upgrade rather than just replace..

So end of long rambling session. Thoughts on this gay pop???

Check the panhard first...

Then take the shock off and drive around a bit.

Interesting....mine does the EXACT same thing on the drivers side too. I've gone over everything and I haven't been able to figure it out either. Wish I had a suggestion for you, I'm interested to see if you find something.

Did a visual inspection of the steering box spacer..looks fine.

I'm getting a HP 30 soon anyways. Didnt wanna swap it till I was done building it but I may just to see if it eliminates the issue

Broken drivers side engine mount. Do like they say though, pull the suspect shock and drive it.

Drive with 1 shock ?
I'll check the tb in the morning.

Gonna have my Buddy give it a look over also

sure.... those POS rusty's shocks probably aren't doing anything anyway.

I wouldn't get on the freeway, but under 30 mph you will be fine and know whether or not that was the issue.

Have you checked engine or trans mounts?

I know my trans mount isnt in 100% great shape, but I couldnt see that creating this kind of pop.

It was a little mushy when we installed my new 3link x member..but it seemed to still all be in one piece.

I havent pulled the engine mounts but I have gone through and tried my best to look to see if they look mangled, they also look new.

I guess it wouldnt be a bad thing to replace all of the mounts anyways. Would prefer to spend money on other things for the rig but if it turns out they are causing the pop id gladly replace them.

sure.... those POS rusty's shocks probably aren't doing anything anyway.

I wouldn't get on the freeway, but under 30 mph you will be fine and know whether or not that was the issue.

Im gonna have to cut the shock out. :doh:

I will try that though. Id prefer to go ahead and step up my shock game to FOA resis or some decent bilsteins but cash aint gonna let that happen right now.

the pop doesnt tend to occur at higher speeds, its really prominent in parking lots or in city driving where its stop and go

Im gonna drop the tb tonight and look at the bushings and see if the hole appears to be wallowed out.

Surely not..its a fairly new double sheer TB.
Who knows though, anything is possible.

Make sure your control arm bolts are tight, and there is no play in the hole. Mine would clunk when backing up and hitting the brakes. It was the driver side LCA sliding in the frame side hole. Bolts were as tight as I could get them. I ended up welding the nut to the bracket so the bolt cannot slide any more, but I can still remove the bolt... Rock Kralwer 3 link fwiw.

Mine makes a very similar pop on the passenger side. Happens when the jeep transfers weight front to rear, or when I shift from drive to reverse or opposite. Sounds to me like it's one of the joints in the control arms (I have a Poly 3 link with all johnny joints). Either the bolt is slightly loose with a wallowed out hole (doubt it being that the brackets are 1/4" thick) or the joint itself is worn or loose.

Back