• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tried to climb a tree in the XJ- failed. Sell or what?

clean96XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Tried to climb a tree in the jeep.

Damage.
Front grill and left fender are toast.
Radiator and ac are leaking.
Crossmember is bent which bent the unibody about 1"
Bumper is a "V".
Window shield is cracked from a hit to the "A" pillar.
Hood isn't damaged.

96 xj 128k 5 speed original clutch, springs, leafs, no lift.
Still runs super sweet.

What to do?

Fix to daily driver? Estimate to fix is about 1,500

Bender the crossmember back. Throw some cheap lights on it. Wheel it around NY Adirondacks? (Don't have a trailer or another vehicle to pull it)

Sell it?

Pictures to follow.

Thanks in advance for the advice

$1500 for all that in NY? OMG, where is Bimmer, LOL. If they can fix all that in NY for $1500, get it in writing, and go for it IMHO.

Damn dude that sucks... if they can fix it for 1500 and make it look good, I'd go for it.

I'm guessing your username isn't all that accurate anymore.

clean96XJ;245924753 the plan: leaning towards bending her back into place. maybe welding a piece to strengthen the crossmember replace the radiator and windshield. continue to work/replace grill area from junk yard[/QUOTE said:
Be a lot cheaper than buying another XJ and worth it if the drive train is still in good shape. It's an off-road vehicle and is doing to get beat up anyway.
Based on my expereinces visiting too many relatives in the Manhattan, Brooklyn and Long Island areas, I would also get the A/C fixed. You do get hot, humid summer weather (I assume it is a DD).

Part out the current one but save the engine, drivetrain, ecu, and various sensors. Find an XJ with a dead motor/drivetrain for less than $750 and swap parts in. You'll pull out ahead and then some.

That damage looks minor compared the ones I have rebuilt. I would keep it!!

Back