• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need source of 49 psi fuel pressure regulator

xjnco

NAXJA Forum User
My '96 Cherokee Sport, 4.0L is throwing P-0171 codes and a fuel pressure gauge showed a fluttering pressure of 35-45 psi.
Autozone has a replacement regulator (p#: 800-322) with a 39 psi working pressure, not the 49.2 psi OEM setup required.
Where can I find a '91-'96 Cherokee 4.0L "In Tank" 49 psi regulator?

Thanks in advance...

The only place I have been able to find them for my 96 is to buy a whole pump/sending unit from a junk yard...... eBay or search re-cycler wed sites.
Best of luck......

I thought it was 97 that they went to 49 psi?

IIRC 91 to 96 was 31 at idle and 39 with vacuum hose pinched off.

No. There is NO vacuum hose. Regulator is in tank and is located on top of the sending unit/pump assm, And pressure is 49psi +/- 2.

No, sorry. My '96 has the in-tank pump and regulator

Early 96 didnt, late does, hence get the 97...

If you are basing your recommendations on a search of parts suppliers you are way wrong.
The regulator in no way looks like anything in those (RockAuto,Advance,NAPA or AutoZone) photos.
Regulator is contained in a plastic housing,has no pipe out the side or O-ring at the top,fuel is fed from the bottom.
# on one of my replacement units is 4669239,1496,1A.and a mopar symbol.
Other unit has no markings.
96 units are Bastards of the fuel system and the regulators have been out of dealer stock for years.

My local Autozone store will get the late '96 - '97 filter/regulator unit in later tonite at 8PM
I'll see if the filter/regulator can be separated so I can use just the regulator

The 4669239 part number is a mopar part number also for a 49.2 psi Town & Country regulator,
I'll check on that also, hopefully a fit

If you can't make it work I will move this for you to the MOD Forum--others have likely faced this problem and may have gone with something aftermarket--JEGS, Summit Racing--for a fix.

Joe, please move this thread to the modified. Regulator not working

Well, now that we are in the MOD Forum I see a couple of avenues.

1. Locate a recycler with the right part--car-parts.com--purchase and install a used part. Note that you will likely face the same problem again down the road, and the part will be even scarcer by that time.

2. Change over to the 97+ tank and fuel pump/filter/regulator. One problem here is that the plastic fuel tanks are no longer available, so you will have to go used for at least the tank.

3. Change over to the pre-96 tank and fuel pump, and use an external adjustable regulator from Jegs or Summit Racing. The advantages with this method would be readily available new fuel tanks and fuel pumps. The earlier pumps can put out the pressure you need with the adjustable regulators, you can run the return line from the regulator to the normal return fitting on the tank. All good in my book.

Good luck.

Talked with the Jeep dealer in Longmont and the solution he has is a retrofit, in tank assembly that Chrysler has come up with. Similar to the '97 with a one piece float, pump & regulator setup for about $450.
Back to my situation:
The OEM regulator I took out has Part # 4669239 with a sub code of 1016 N4 stamped on it.The replacement regulator has the same part # 4669239 with a sub code 0670 PL stamped. This replacement regulator was for a '97 Town & Country rated at 49.2 PSI working pressure as I need in my XJ. Hooked it up, it fit, but I get no fuel past the regulator. What now? A weak fuel pump? Bad regulator? Autozone is sending a replacement I'll pick up tomorrow.

Well, if the pump runs, there is fuel in the tank, and still no pressure I would suspect the pump.

IF you can get the part number for that Chrysler fix PLEASE post it up for others.

How did you get the old regulator out(in case I need to do mine) ? FSM does not show how to remove it from the plastic assm its in.

I.m thinking a hose clamp to depress the 4 tabs at once and pull it up ?
I,m looking at the replacement fuel hanger assm and I dont see how those replacement regulators work / in it.

I pushed a flat blade screwdriver from the top down inline with each tab, between the plastic outer shell and the plastic retaining cap .
The plastic will bend / flex enough to hold the locking tabs in.
Accomplishing this four times, after all plastic clip tabs are pushed in, you can pry or pull the plastic retaining cap off.

Part Number: EC PR210

Got it running !!...

Part Number: EC PR210
42.9 working PSI Fuel Regulator

Courtesy: Rocky Mountain Trucks / Carquest
Longmont, CO

Back