• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JUST INSTALLED: Hurst short throw

PowerRam1987

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys so basically I just installed an AX-15 Hurst Billet/Plus Shifter part#3915042 and its awesome. Advertised to shorten the shift by 30% and it feels better than that. Shift pattern is very tight and shifts are crisp. I snapped my stock shifter in half on Tuesday so I ordered it Wednesday morning with 2 day shipping and here it was Friday as planned. Took about 2 hours to put in today but I probably spent an hour completely disassembling my console and cleaning every little crevice. I didn't take a bunch of pictures but if someone wants a write up on this thread I can do it. It was very simple like I said actual labor everything in and out was about an hour. I have a before and after with a few in between shots.

I've always thought about getting one of these, but I kinda like the long, truckish throw of the ax15

Love mine, installed it about a decade ago. It has loosened up a bit as the bushing on the end of the shift lever has probably worn out. Have close to 100,000 miles on it I imagine.
How many shifts in 100,000 miles?

I love my hurst shifter. One of the bests mods I ever did. My bushing at the end is wearing out a little bit as well because the stick is getting a little loose in gear.

I've had one for over 10 years. Do I like it, Yes. However, you are still stirring an AX-15. If you are dreaming of quick shifts, dream on.

I got one when I swapped out my AX-15 for a new one from Novak. Very stiff at first, after about 2,000 miles loosened up enough to feel correct. I am extremely pleased with the combination, grabbing a shift when climbing a hill is so much easier.

David Bricker / SYR

Got me thinking now... mine's gonna be due for a rebuild soon. Or maybe I should rebuild my spare and put it in.

I went the other way and put a Dakota shift tower and lever on a friends YJ... could barely reach the shifter with the XJ style lever on it.

I've been running the hurst for years and highly recommend it. I did snap the first hurst on a 1-2 shift jumping in on a light-light race b/t an sl500 and range rover.

Yup. Love mine. Makes the AX15 feel like a performance tranny...... Even on a 255k mile tranny. Love the clicky, notchy feel. :thumbup:

Last edited:
You like the long throw until you have a short throw. Then you never want to go back. I have the hurst too. It's awesome.

exactly. night and day difference. I wheeled it a bit this weekend. awesome on hill climbs and better driving around town. I popped my 216k shift bushing on the end of it on install-feels perfect and the AX-15 is still going strong. feels and looks sturdy. extra bling in the cherocar

Hey! I'd love to see some pics of the final install.. Been thinking about this as an upgrade on mine for a while - after all the praise for the performance, like to see what the cosmetic checks out like...
Thanks

new shifter:
console/rear heat duct out:

made a notch with tin snips to get at left rear bolt-no reason to drop tranny down:

shifter in with some rtv and loctite:

side view installed:

Just a note, I put one of these in a YJ I put together years ago, my cousin still has the Jeep and it still works fantastically.
Hurst has decided to discontinue this particular shifter, but there is a company that does offer the genuine Hurst shifter with the correct handle for the XJ:

http://www.core-shifters.com/servlet/the-935/Core--fdsh--Hurst-shifter/Detail

I've just ordered one up myself so it can be here by xmas :)

They're great shifters, and I have one in my daily driver 97, but just be careful with water crossings. They vent through the pivot ball area, instead of the little breather fitting on the OE shifter pedestal. I used to have that fitting extended remote, but that's not an option with the Hurst. Once that boot tears, you're open to the elements, and in my case, I ended up flooding my AX15 in a deep crossing (not as deep as you might think either). Those boots get brittle fairly quick too. I'd encourage all of you "had-them-for-awhilers" to inspect yours.

I'll save you a little annoyance too. When you call Hurst looking for a replacement, just tell them its out of a Wranger. Since they discontinued the one for the Cherokee, it's like pulling teeth to get a spare boot for one - even though the Wranger's simply has a different bend in the bar and is identical in every other way.

I don't really think it allows for any significant shift speed increase (that's gonna have a bit more to do with the health of your syncros) but it sure does look bitch'n

HurstShifterInstall04-29-11004.jpg

Back