• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Question

lqguitarguy

NAXJA Forum User
So I am not a seasoned forum user with lots of posting experience. If you need to bump this whatever put this post where it can be seen or if you know the link to answer the question please send it.

Here it goes.... I need a new track bar on my 96 xj se. The stock one has worn at the ball joint/frame and really needs to be replaced. I have jk quick disconnects but other than that all my steering is stock. I would like a recommendation for a good replacement track bar please... and an easy to understand explanation of what I should be looking for in a good steering setup. To clarify even more... Do I need a drop pitman arm? should I be checking the angle of my track bar? I want to spend around 300 bucks(total not just on a track bar and bracket) and I would like my steering to be great.... lol I want to do it and not have to mess with it a bunch. My wheeling is minimal... no real rock climbing or heavy mudding

I run a 4.5" Rubi xpress lift with 33" bfg at's.... 4.11 gears... sick front bumper... slightly trimmed fenders... bilstein 5100 shocks... front upper and lower ball joints have less than a year if that affects your advice in a steering setup

Here it goes.... I need a new track bar on my 96 xj se.

I have used a Kevin's bar and bracket for years and it is still in good shape. The extra hard bushings help prevent death wobble. The track bar is made by JKS and the double-sheer bracket modified by Kevin.
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/cart/z...lso-fits-8486-with-minor-modification-p-1017/

You should not need to change the pitman arm. Check to see if the draglink and track bar are parallel to each other.

Make sure youre drag link and trac bar are parrallel. That will determine whether or not you need a drop pitman arm. I personally use rusty's trac bar cost me about $250ish and about half an hr of install time (including beer drinking time). Their new one is much better than their old one. And i would also suggest using the brace to the passenger side frame rail, for preventitive maintenance. And DO NOT use a trac bar relocation bracket. DO NOT!!!! Thats an accident waiting to happen amd will cause more harm than good.

I have had RE1600 (standard track bar) with a modded stock mount run in double sheer. Was good to me. Got an awesome deal on an RE1660HD+bracket and brace also good. That might be what Serious posted his links to on his site.
I would say pretty much any aftermarket track bar that will work for your height, EXCEPT RC. Most people I have heard terrible things about their stuff breaking while driving on the road etc.

Short list of companies to go with.
Clayton offroad
JKS
RE
IRO

how is a drop bracket a bad idea? the majority of the kits come with brackets... especially when you are pushing 4.5-5 like mine is. That being said I literally ordered yesterday the Irok Track bar and bracket 200 shipped...

The drop trac bar bracket is simply put not sturdy imho. Ive seen them run and wasnt impressed whem driving that persons jeep and herd many stories about it failing. That is a high stress point and a couple of bolts arent enough to keep your axle alligned correctly. But thats just my opinion. Everyone has their own.

Back