• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cut fenders/flooded trunk

Clee99

NAXJA Forum User
so i recently bought a 99 xj with a 4.5 inch rc lift. it has 33 inch tires and the person i bought it from cut the fenders for clearance. took it wheelin for the first time and the trunk got flooded with mud and water. did dome searching around and if you lift the bottom of the plastic panels on the sides of the trunk (inside) you can see right out to the tire and wheel well... i am asuming he didnt cut them correctly and wondering if anyone else has experienced this or has a solution for it?

Your going to need to fill in the missing areas with sheet metal. Search for StumpXJ's thread on it.

Yes, the previous owner cut the rear fender wells incorrectly. There's a pinch seam that has a line of spot welds, you are NOT supposed to cut past these, doing so is very bad for the rear unibody structure, you are gonna have to weld in a strip of metal to get this strength back, if you do not, you will start to get cracks inside the rear hatch and upper rear door jambs...

Rookie mistake, it happens.

Last edited:
Back